UK tx closures

Report newsworthy items here
Tim Bucknall

UK tx closures

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

PFM907

Re: UK tx closures

Post by PFM907 »

yes I have read about their plans on mediumwave.info a couple of hours ago.
Thank you for the original source. it is indeed a very good decision to slighten the AM band.

the channels from the text will be this ones (I have added frequency and power)

• Redruth-Lanner Hill/England - 1089 AM, 2000 watts
• Rosemarkie/Scotland - 1053 AM, 1000 watts
• Aberdeen-Redmoss/Scotland - 1089 AM, 2000 watts
• Derry/N.Ireland - 1053 AM, 1000 watts
• Torbay-Occombe Farm/England - 1107 AM, 1000 watts
• Devonport-Plumer Barracks*/England - 1053 AM, 1000 watts
• Winterbourne-Pearce's Hill/England - 1053 AM, 1000 watts

*this is wrongly spelled "Plummers Barracks" in the text quoted above!

This will result in the following number of transmitters remaining on operation

1053 AM - 9 txs. remaining
1089 AM - 5 txs. + 1 tunnel rep.
1071 AM - 2 txs.
1107 AM - 5 txs.

still a lot.
I wonder why they want to keep Duxhurst, Hull, Bournemouth and Southwick.
I guess these are not really necessary.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

What a coincidence! I was wondering when the next batch of UK stations would be leaving the band, so I did some Goggling yesterday to see if I could find out anything. Nothing! But here you are today PFM posting some nice little nuggets of good news! I just wish Spain would close down their transmitters. Has anybody got any information on Spanish closures? That will be a great day when Spain shuts down MW. I'll add Romanian to my list too.

PFM907

Post by PFM907 »

Some weeks ago, there were plans made public regarding the closure of romanias external AM services (which I guess is only shortwave as the mediumwave transmitters all cary domestic and /or minority programming) due to cuts in budget.
But, after protests of the staff, this decision has now been frozen and it is unsure, if or for how long they will continue with their foreign language service. The medium wave, however, is about to continue anyway it seems. Although I do not understand because in times of money shortage this would be the first step to save $ as all of the public service channels can be received perfectly on several frequencies via FM throughout the country!!! I do not understand why romania keeps so many powerful AM transmitters. It must cost a fortune each year (more than 2 million for sure).

Spain is closing down a few once at a time but this hasn`t happened that much last time and the ones shutting down are most on co-channels so there are 2 or 3 stronger ones remaining while the weakest are going off. As both countries do not focus on digital radio, it seems like AM will stay active for 5 more years or even longer in ROmania ant 10 years in Spain.

Even Italy still has many RAI txs. in operation and for each one which is going off, at least 5 or more low power ones are starting all over the country. The LPAM invasion from the south and West (NL) is this decades problem as the powerhouses were during the 90s.

Really annoying...

John Faulkner, Skegness

I'm sure that's good news for somebody, just not for DXers.

10 years for Spain? I need to position my flag more appropriately for nulling. The flag is good for this with its broad nullwidth and this is not a problem when I point north-east for Asia as Spain is exactly to the rear. Not so much for North America. But the beverage - and especially BOGs are less effective at nulling the rear. I think the Beverage's strength lies with its forward gain rather than with its rear null. I can take out nearby Boston with the flag in the daytime.

It can be interesting to hear those smaller transmitters like the RAI outlets you mention and I have heard a few lately. I also hear many more Arabic stations these days too. I ought to look more closely at the middle east when conditions blow out. And then there's Holland ... quite a pest on the BOG.

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk »

I don't think its worth me buying a small MW transmitter due to the poor sound have 2 FM ones and the audio is better I would rather have the 2 watt TV transmitter.
Radios Tecsun PL398MP + PL-660 & JVC KD-G632 - Blaupunkt BPR-3 DAB+ pure one flow

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Three Counties Radio (630 and 1260): Retune advice loop from 17 February; Transmitter closure on 6 April.
Radio York (666 and 1260): Retune advice loop from 24 February; Transmitter closure on 6 April.
Radio Newcastle (1458): Retune advice loop from 26 February; Transmitter closure on 7 April.
Radio Cornwall (630 and 657): Retune advice loop from 2 March; Transmitter closure on 7 April.
Radio Solent (999 and 1359): Retune advice loop from 4 March; Transmitter closure on 8 April.
Radio Cumbria (1458 in West Cumbria only): Retune advice loop from 9 March; Transmitter closure on 8 April.
Radio Merseyside (1485): Retune advice loop from 11 March; Transmitter closure on 9 April.
Radio Norfolk (855 in the East only): Retune advice loop from 16 March; Transmitter closure on 9 April.
Radio Wales (1125 in the Llandrindod Wells area only): Retune advice loop from 18 March; Transmitter closure on 2 April.
Radio Wales (882 in the Cardigan Bay and Montgomeryshire areas only) may not broadcast a retune advice loop to avoid interfering with the continuing transmitters on the same frequency. Transmitters will close on 2 April.
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

John Faulkner, Skegness

Thanks Tim. I've been hearing the loops on 630 and 666. I wondered how many more were closing.

Looking at the band from a North American perspective using my beverage:

630 Still has a sodding great Romanian on it. No benefit there.
547 Spain's the pain. No benefit there.
666 Spain's the pain. No benefit there. Getting repetitious now.
855 Believe it or not, Spain is a monster at night. No trace of Norfolk.
882 BBC Wales is strong at night, but I hear Spain mixing at night, so I guess that will take over.
999 Gold and Spain. (Doom and gloom!)
1125 Spain dominates at night. I can hear Wales, but it's not as strong as Spain. Well, what a surprise!
1260 Sabras is big here. No benefit, yet again.
1359 Smooth Radio. Couldn't really hear Solent anyway.
1485 Lyca Radio still quite dominant here at night. No real benefit here.

So ... any real benefit? Yes, if we can move Spain and Romania into the Pacific.

KPC850

Post by KPC850 »

Radio Wales (one of the 882kHz SFN transmitters - Cardigan Bay area http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1475 ) announcement going out twice an hour at approx :15 and :45 , what date the announcements started I do not know, this was recorded last Sunday 22/3, jump to about 1:30 to hear it in this recording:

https://voca.ro/69jOGPDjl3n

John Faulkner, Skegness

I have been hearing closedown announcement loops on many BBC frequencies over the last few weeks. Does anybody have any dates for the actual switch-offs?

jotagarzon

Post by jotagarzon »

Hi,
On 6th April, before noon, were closed:
1. BBC Radio York, 666 kHz and 1260 kHz.
2. 3 Counties Radio, on 630 and 1161 kHz.
The remainig ones will be closing as Tim's message stated.
73!
Jorge Garzón. EB7EFA / EA1036 SWL
IN83ag Cantabria (Spain) / 43°15'N • 3°56'W
--
Rx: RSP1A/AirSpy HF+/Lowe HF 150/Sony SA3-ES-EE
Ant.: Fanfare FM-2G/Wellbrook 1530LN/5el SKT Yagi
Blog: http://iberiadx.wordpress.com

John Faulkner, Skegness

Ah. I missed that. I speed read through the posts and missed the very stuff I was looking for. Thanks Jorge.

KPC850

Post by KPC850 »

BBC R. Cornwall - both 630 and 657 were switched off at 10AM this morning (Tuesday)

John Faulkner, Skegness

I had a good tune around at sunrise. Although these BBC transmitters have now left the air, I don't notice any obvious improvements to transatlantic channels, pretty much as I expected. Maybe it will be different on the flag, which I will be resurrecting in the next few days.

satnipper

Post by satnipper »

Cumbria 1458 is off replaced here by a loud Manchester Gold...1485 is the one I'm waiting for tho - 1 day to go

Stuart

satnipper

Post by satnipper »

And Merseyside 1485 bites the dust - halleluyah! Sounds like a weak-ish BBC Radio 4 Carlisle is audible.

Return to “News”