Extreme tropo in Australia

Propagation questions, answers and general information
Post Reply
zach_m
Posts: 369
Joined: 15 Feb 2017 13:42
Location: Hatfield, Herts
Contact:

Extreme tropo in Australia

Post by zach_m » 08 Dec 2018 12:09

DXers in Australia experienced an extreme tropo ducting over Tasman Sea. New Zealand signals were heard in Australia with distances exceeding 2000 km.

Links to YT videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNob_MxxDpU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DQ7adJAPr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT5eC3Q9pc8

and here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy7FTbeX8Rk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ_jPauUnBU

Big congratulations! 73, Zach
Website: https://fmdx.info
YouTube: Zach-FMDX
E-mail: contact@fmdx.info

Franco Martelli
Posts: 146
Joined: 08 Oct 2014 10:18
Location: Radda in Chianti (Si) - Tuscany

Re: Extreme tropo in Australia

Post by Franco Martelli » 09 Dec 2018 14:03

These two videos are no longer available (maybe there was too much music inside?), but the same user added some new videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/dxer22000/ ... _polymer=1
Rx: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909

PascalD
Posts: 126
Joined: 29 Dec 2016 12:32
Location: l'hay les roses, Ile de France & Auray, Bretagne

Re: Extreme tropo in Australia

Post by PascalD » 09 Dec 2018 20:04

I have just ordered a XHDATA D-808 used in the YT Video for inflight FM entertainment also possible portable FM DX for 2019 Sporadic 'E's season & Vacations. Also possible AM use?

The below link help decide for purchasing the XHDATA under 70 euros

https://swling.com/blog/tag/xhdata-d-808-review/

Good DX fellow dxer's

Pascal
Kenwood TS850s
Kenwood R-1000
Sony XDR 1FD
Uniden UCB 3500XLT
R820T2 SDR + software v1.0.0.1666 + plugins manager suite
Welbrook AL1530 actif loop antenna
Selmar 2-PA 320 mini VHF/UHF actif antenna
5 element FM

User avatar
senderjaeger
Posts: 193
Joined: 03 Sep 2015 21:25

Re: Extreme tropo in Australia

Post by senderjaeger » 10 Dec 2018 01:42

PascalD wrote:Also possible AM use?
The D-808 is an excellent performer on MW with the built-in ferrite antenna and also on SW with the rather short whip antenna.

Forget about it on LW though unless you have a decent external (loop) antenna for LW.

Anyway, overall the D-808 is a very pleasant radio for mobile DXing at its price tag and so far it's the first portable in the sub €100 price class that brought me overseas catches on MW with just the internal ferrite antenna.

73, Matthias
QTH: near Hannover, Germany

zach_m
Posts: 369
Joined: 15 Feb 2017 13:42
Location: Hatfield, Herts
Contact:

Re: Extreme tropo in Australia

Post by zach_m » 10 Dec 2018 09:49

Franco Martelli wrote:
09 Dec 2018 14:03
These two videos are no longer available (maybe there was too much music inside?), but the same user added some new videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/dxer22000/ ... _polymer=1

Hello Franco,

At the time when I was posting this link the videos were still available, but the folowing day he (dzer22000) decided to removed it (due to better reception) as he explains in the box below one of his uploads. I don't think such an extreme tropo is possible over the land (in Europe). Tasman sea and tropical climate strenghten the signals/distances immensly. This is actually first proove of such an extreme tropo that has been recorded.
Website: https://fmdx.info
YouTube: Zach-FMDX
E-mail: contact@fmdx.info

pe1etr
Posts: 1422
Joined: 07 Oct 2014 00:40
Location: Blackpool, UK

Re: Extreme tropo in Australia

Post by pe1etr » 10 Dec 2018 11:26

zach_m wrote:
10 Dec 2018 09:49
Franco Martelli wrote:
09 Dec 2018 14:03
These two videos are no longer available (maybe there was too much music inside?), but the same user added some new videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/dxer22000/ ... _polymer=1

Hello Franco,

At the time when I was posting this link the videos were still available, but the folowing day he (dzer22000) decided to removed it (due to better reception) as he explains in the box below one of his uploads. I don't think such an extreme tropo is possible over the land (in Europe). Tasman sea and tropical climate strenghten the signals/distances immensly. This is actually first proove of such an extreme tropo that has been recorded.

Who told you this?
I think you need to google extreme tropo ;)

zach_m
Posts: 369
Joined: 15 Feb 2017 13:42
Location: Hatfield, Herts
Contact:

Re: Extreme tropo in Australia

Post by zach_m » 10 Dec 2018 23:16

Hi Peter,

Perhaps I missed something, but I actually never seen a prove of Australian tropo with distances over 2000 km. If you have any links to such an extreme tropo catches/recordings please post here. I would love to see it.
Website: https://fmdx.info
YouTube: Zach-FMDX
E-mail: contact@fmdx.info

pe1etr
Posts: 1422
Joined: 07 Oct 2014 00:40
Location: Blackpool, UK

Re: Extreme tropo in Australia

Post by pe1etr » 14 Dec 2018 08:36

zach_m wrote:
10 Dec 2018 23:16
Hi Peter,

Perhaps I missed something, but I actually never seen a prove of Australian tropo with distances over 2000 km. If you have any links to such an extreme tropo catches/recordings please post here. I would love to see it.
Hello Zach,
Trans Tasman tropo DX is not new. Here is a summary by Todd Emslie, Sydney NSW

Tropospheric ducting at VHF from Sydney into North Island New Zealand has occurred every year since 1956. Initially these were high powered (nominal 100 kW) band 3 TV signals, while later and more frequently, band 2 FM signals. Auckland, Te Aroha, and Palmerston North New Zealand areas are usually received in eastern Australia during December and January. Less frequently, New Plymouth and Greymouth areas are received in favourable east Australia coastal areas. The average path distance range is 2,150 to 2,350 km.
In February each year there is tropo ducting received in Perth WA from Java, Indonesia.

If you want to ask about recordings, why not go to Yahoo Groups and join ICDX?

Peter

Post Reply

Return to “Propagation”