ALG Chaine 2 89.6 question

Post your unidentified DX catches here
Paul_Logan

ALG Chaine 2 89.6 question

Post by Paul_Logan » 06 Jul 2018 14:31

Can anyone confirm for sure that the Chaine 2 transmitter from Tessala Algeria on 89.6 has rds? I noted a Chaine 2 outlet on that freq last night just before 9 pm when everything else had faded out which was very strong with no RDS. The other tx on here is Illizi at 3349 km from here. It would be nice if it had been it. Can anyone offer any help?
Paul Logan
Lisnaskea, Fermanagh, N. Ireland IO64GG

FMDX: Elad FDM-S2 with 5 el Yagi by K6STI, Andy Bolin Phaser.
MW / SW: Perseus / Elad FDM-S2 with Inverted L wire / Wellbrook Loop.

PFM907

Re: ALG Chaine 2 89.6 question

Post by PFM907 » 06 Jul 2018 15:57

Tessala HAS rds on all frequencies and is high power (70 kW TRP), it is located in NW Alg at Oran near the Gulf of Gibraltar.
Illizi has NO rds on none of its frequencies and runs on low power (100 watts), it is located in a National Park (middle of nowhere).

doesnt make any sense at all to broadcast RDS at Illizi transmission site as there is no other tx. available around for car radios (next town about 200 km and the Illizi tx would not reach as far as that)

however, it might take some time to received RDS from ALG, or even sometimes it does not work out because of the bad modulation

your choice to chose which one it might have been, but I guess this is quite obvious ;) ALG coastline txs. are a usual catch

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan » 06 Jul 2018 16:57

Actually it isn't obvious which one it was. If it was I wouldn't have asked. The signal was very strong, no distortion and no sign of RDS. Neither RDS spy or the Elad software showed any sign of RDS trying to form.
Paul Logan

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly » 06 Jul 2018 17:58

Hi Paul. I received Chaine 2 on 89.6 last year with RDS and it sounded good with clear audio and clean modulation. This year I've also received Chaine 2 on 89.6 but it sounded distorted and rougher. There was no RDS either but the signal was weaker than the reception last year.

Exotics are more likely to appear just as an opening is starting or just before everything drops out. So, given this, and the fact that the signal was apparently easily strong enough for RDS, then perhaps it was Illizi. Either that, or the Tessala tx has a fault.
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan » 06 Jul 2018 21:56

No way of knowing for sure. So another one that gets away. It was odd that it popped up on it's own when everything else had gone though. it was very strong
Paul Logan

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 07 Jul 2018 20:54

My guess would be Tessala 70 KW TRP but probably no RDS could be received due to bad modulation or technical difficulties at TX. site. my experience is, that big guns provide a better signal than low power at 99 %
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paradisefm - Malta's N° 1 in dance and electronic
qths: Sliema MLT / Bavaria / Nth GER / Keitum-Sylt

useful: mwlist.org / intervalsignals.net / asiawaves.net / fmlist.org

Return to “Unidentified?”