DX Maps Problem

John Faulkner, Skegness

DX Maps Problem

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 02 Jun 2018 09:46

DX Maps no longer works for me. I use the same two pages I have always used. The live 6m map and the MUF map. There has been no correlation between either of these and the actual DX coming in on FM List's maps. The 6m map remains empty/almost empty and the MUF map shows o or very few spots, yet the the FM List shows band 2 Es are Es are present for European DXers.

Is anybody else having these problems?

It's never been the same since they went to v3 or whatever version it is.

For the record, I do not have digital modes selected, but I have left in Es and all the regular modes, but this was added back automatically. I keep an eye on this, just in case it happens again.

Nick Gilly

Re: DX Maps Problem

Post by Nick Gilly » 02 Jun 2018 10:10

Hi John.

This might be my fault :lol: If you click on 'Modes/Props' do you have 'Digital' unticked in the drop-down list? If so, tick it and it will reload showing contacts made using FT8 and similar modes. This will show a lot more MUF spots too.

I emailed Gabriel a few weeks back requesting that digital modes could be switched on or off on the MUF map as they were showing very weak signal contacts that just wouldn't work for Band 2. He did it as a trial run. I think it depends on the feedback of other users as to whether the feature will become permanent or not. Personally, I find it very useful.
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 02 Jun 2018 10:32

Yes, it will be very useful to those who use digital modes, and also to FM DXers as a potential VERY early warning system, irrelevant to band 2 as it is.

I just find there is still little or zero correlation between the MUF / 6m analogue contacts and FM List loggings.

tvdxrools

Post by tvdxrools » 02 Jun 2018 10:42

ft8 is killing 6m ie yesterday 50.313 was 20 over 9 and beacons/repeaters were strong yet hardly a cw or ssb signal, it seems pc to pc is the way now and no humans needed , the matrix is coming true , David

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 02 Jun 2018 15:37

Hmm. I would be contributing to this problem David if I could get my computer and rig to talk to each other. I always fancied trying WSPR and FT8 looks tempting.

tvdxrools

Post by tvdxrools » 02 Jun 2018 16:12

personally i find ft8 boring as hell ,, a crude way around it is to feed audio from ur rig to the pc ie from speaker on radio to line in or mic on pc and for transmit lay your mic on the speaker and use the vox ,, i never thought i would see the day that 6m was wide open with inband video etc and no ssb or cw they were all doing ft8 , David

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 02 Jun 2018 18:41

Yes, but here's my reasoning. I find talking on the ham bands a pita.I am only interested in DX and I cannot be armed to fight my way through a pile-up for an hour only to fail, which is what happens, nine times out of ten. I have two reasons for trying digital modes.

1. To see just how far E skip can travel at low levels. I know I can look at the maps, but I fancy trying for 5000 km+ etc. and was hoping to see if this could be a useful DX early warning system. OK - I can look at the maps but they don't always give the whole picture.

2. (The most important reason!) I have a lot of local noise which wipes out MW. I recently discovered, thanks to Chris Thatcher, that the noise is being called by a local superduperfast fibre user. If I am active as a radio ham, then BT are more likely to put a filter on at the exchange and cut down the noise levels.

There is a reason for my madness after all. :P

Return to “VHF Band 2, OIRT & DAB”