Extended Scan on Jaguar

Medium & long wave receiver discussion
simbeav

Extended Scan on Jaguar

Post by simbeav » 05 Apr 2018 14:07

Extended scan has always been a bit buggy for me on Jaguar, but since V3 it got even worse. Most times it will not do the whole time requested. In the past, you could clear the scan and try again and sometimes it worked, but I can't find the clear option on the latest versions (I'm on V3.100 (Test)).

The only thing I can find to do is delete the scan file and restart Jaguar. Even this needs a bit of playing about with the dayscans initially disappearing before eventually coming back

Anybody know if a clear option is hidden somewhere ?

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Extended Scan on Jaguar

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 05 Apr 2018 14:29

This is interesting Simon.

It's never been a problem here. But I know somebody who had suffered regular drop-outs in recordings. We discovered that his laptop had been suffering hangs, crashes and kills. Although Jaguar was the software which suffered, the Windows registry showed that Jaguar wasn't the problem, but something Windows related.

If you go into LIFESAVER in Jaguar, via the top menu, (Click the Jaguar head. LIFESAVER is in LOGS.) you should see a list of all the hangs, etc. Jaguar has encountered. Perhaps you can tie them in with something in the Windows Event Log? A bit of faffing around, but it can throw up some interesting facts. I'm not saying Jaguar isn't to blame, but this should narrow things down. EXTENDED SCAN should work fine and I am not aware of any problems with this. Are you running a test version of Jaguar?

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 05 Apr 2018 22:25

Thanks John - Nothing in the Livesaver log for a few weeks (and only expected crashes and kills prior to that).

I've just tried a few more extended scans and they have worked, so it is intermittent. It was just easier to try another one with the old clear option which seems to have gone.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 06 Apr 2018 09:13

Again, interesting. I wonder why these things happen. It's sometimes difficult to know if these are Windows issues, Jaguar issues, or a combination of both or some other issue like antivirus software flagging Jaguar as a potential threat, which I have seen happen.

Do you mean the CLEAR button at the bottom left of the EXTENDED SCAN window? Unusual if that is missing.

As I am involved in the development of Jaguar (as a tester and not as a software developer) I like to know about all the quirks and effects people have. Things like antivirus programmes can definitely be a problem, but exclusions can be set so that Jaguar is not flagged as a threat. I have known Windows do odd non-specific things with Defender, but overall, any quirks or bugs are ironed out in the testing phase.

Jaguar is constantly under development and updates come out very frequently. So if you, or anybody else has any problems, please drop me a line.

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 06 Apr 2018 09:30

My mistake ! The clear button is there - Cunningly hidden behind the useless yellow yo-yo bars that have taken the place of the useful time bars that were there before !

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 06 Apr 2018 13:58

ALT+Y toggles YOYOs on and off. I quite like them :), but they are not a good replacement, nor as effective as DAYSCAN.

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 06 Apr 2018 22:58

Excellent - Thanks John. I've got my sunrise and hourly grids back ! Now if I could only find what happened to x-ray - It nicely showed peaks in individual signals, but seems to have been ditched.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 07 Apr 2018 10:30

X-RAY is still there. I don't know which version you are using, but in 3.100 Pro, you'll need TOPSCREEN activated. Click SLIDER to activate visual control, then toggle STYLE.

Jaguar does so much, but we can set our own preferences. Jaguar can be as simple or as in-depth as you like. Some just like to use Jaguar in its simplest mode with the play bar at the bottom of the screen and nothing else, then they can do other things on their computers. It's clever stuff, but a lot to learn if you want that.

Return to “Receivers”