QRN From Router

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
John Faulkner, Skegness

QRN From Router

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 14 Nov 2019 18:30

Suddenly ... It's amazing! A beautifully, clean, quiet band! Well, almost. It's not bad, overall.

This afternoon I looked into the noise levels which have been gradually increasing across the middle, and sometimes across the top of the medium wave band here. My Sky router has never been a problem regarding interference in the past, but I thought I should re-check it and switch it off to see if noise levels reduced. They did! So my trusty and noiseless Sky router is now causing QRN.

I wonder what has changed? It's almost three years old. I can only guess that some components are beginning to break down. Perhaps I should make it go 'pop' and call the engineers. :shock:

KPC850

Re: QRN From Router

Post by KPC850 » 14 Nov 2019 20:07

Try a different power supply (in case its from the power supply) ?

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 14 Nov 2019 21:15

This is going to be difficult for me to admit .... but I didn't think of that. :oops: :lol: Of course, I simply assumed it had a 240v input. :oops: :oops: :oops: I will see if I have something suitable in my collection tomorrow.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 15 Nov 2019 16:57

It's the psu alright. No replacement, so just enough time to post this and switch off before the top of the hour!

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 13 Dec 2019 15:40

Still trying to get this sorted.

I have concluded that both power supplies (landline phone and Sky modem/router) are causing QRN. Today, I thought I would use my two big old variable voltage supplies (large bricks!) and get the problem rectified once and for all. But of course I failed at the first hurdle. Those old bricks I have are no more than 1.2A and I need 12V/2A for the modem/router and 5.5V/500mA for the landline. Not a big demand. We radio hams are quite resourceful when it comes to things like this, unless you are like me and crawled my way through the R.A.E. to get my 'passes'. I just wanted to get on the air, sod the technicalities.

As a result of the noise, and the need to record afternoons, evening and, well, around the clock really, I find myself switching off the two offending items for most of the day.

Next, I have what is probably a fairly dumb question. I have found a 7.5V/2.1A brick power supply for the landline. My question is, would a step up from 5.5V to 7.5V be too much? I suspect so. 12V to 14V would probably be on the limits. The perspective between 5.5V and 7.7V is bigger.

So the aim now is to find two replacement power supplies. Maplin are offering 12V/2A switched mode power supplies at a staggering £19.99 each! I don't want switched mode and I won't pay their prices. My only other option is to visit as many charity shops as I can in the hope that somebody is selling some older electrical equipment which comes with an appropriate power supply.

Or am I overlooking other options?

Return to “Off Channel”