No Noise Is Good Noise! (Medium Wave)

Noise and interference issues?

simbeav

Re: No Noise Is Good Noise! (Medium Wave)

Post by simbeav » 05 Sep 2017 14:50

What are you complaining about ?
You can just about make out your loacal stations can't you ?
Stop being a luddite and buy yourself a DAB radio so we can fleece you again when DAB+ comes along.
We've got to keep the economy going by selling cheap Chinese electronics at below cost prices.
If we can't be bothered to send a policeman out to your burglary, why should we bother policing the airwaves...........

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 05 Sep 2017 16:37

You are absolutely right Simon.

I already bought a DAB radio. There's no decent DAB reception around here. Should I spend more money and buy a better one?

I pay my TV licence, which I think is worth every penny - in fact I would happily pay twice as much for their excellent and politically unbiased programming.

I already have an account with the BBC, so I will be able to listen to BBC Radio Lincolnshire live on their web stream after they switch off my local medium wave and, eventually, my FM outlet.

The noise can buzz away all it likes!

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 03 Oct 2017 12:35

Medium wave DX is almost impossible lately with yet more noise destroying the band. It's time to do some tests, but I doubt there's anything I'll be able to do about this.

The middle of the band is now continually awash with signal-killing hash, but there is a much more general increase in noise now across the whole band.

If I use the Perseus to see how severe the noise is, the constant mid-band noise reads -90 dB. This wipes out 890 - 1130 kHz. Either side of this, the noise doesn't go lower than -120 dB, which can be OK for stronger transatlantic signals, but the hash can still be heard. Nothing 'weak' will get through.

Then there's the daily sunrise and sunset noise periods, which are severe and wipe the whole band. These last between one and two hours and vary slightly in their timing. The 0600 - 0700 noise period has now slowly migrated to 0700 - 0800. The 1800 - 1900 noise period has stayed around the same time, but I remember this lasting around 1500 - 1800 at times last winter. It was not every day then. There is also an additional severe noise period around midday, but I am rarely tuned in to see that. These three severe noise periods give -75 dB across the band, rendering even my semi-local transmitters unlistenable.

None of the noise is coming from my property. I have done numerous tests, listening to medium wave on both my desktop and laptop computers, using a leisure battery while switching off the main supply to the property.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WD_HOycz4 Hmm. The similarlty is striking!

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 13 Oct 2017 22:53

After several days of hardly any noise at all, solid, band-killing noise is now wiping out all nearby transmitters on MW. This has been affecting MW continually since late afternoon.

I am baffled. I took a portable around the bungalow, around the garden, around the neighbour's property and on nearby streets. The only noise I heard was when the portable was close to the bungalow or inside it. Strangely, there was no noise when I put the portable near my desktop computer! If I put the portable where the flag is, there is no noise at all!

Next, I switched off the electricity supply at the mains box and ran my computer and Perseus from my leisure battery. The noise was still there, though slightly reduced. Still bad though.

Baffled.

Return to “EMC (Interference) Issues”