A long shot - French speakers needed please

Post your unidentified DX catches here
Nick Gilly

A long shot - French speakers needed please

Post by Nick Gilly » 11 Aug 2018 22:53

This is a real long shot, because the signal is so weak, but this was recorded on August 5th on 87.8 via tropo. It has a French YL presenter at the start, and I'm hoping that someone might be able to make something out of it:

https://app.box.com/s/qwqq921actocpnzqudwo0w4aritj2xy0

The signal seemed to peak at around 190-200 deg from here, so maybe from Brittany. However, I tried all the streams listed from this direction and none of them matched. The music sounds reggae-influenced, and maybe North African?

I do have another recording but I think that is even weaker!

Thanks if anyone can help.
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

Nick Gilly

Re: A long shot - French speakers needed please

Post by Nick Gilly » 11 Aug 2018 23:34

If it helps, Ian Kelly has 'Shazamed' the recording and the track being played is Boyz N The Hood by Kaaris, a French rapper of Ivory Coast descent. Ian suggested Radio Nova but I remember that was one of the streams I tried and it was different.
Good DX.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

Brookman Spark

Re: A long shot - Franch speakers needed please

Post by Brookman Spark » 11 Aug 2018 23:43

Hi Nick,

At 0:03 onwards I'm hearing "chaque jour de l'été ... sur Europe 1" and into music. But there isn't a match to the female voice on the Europe 1 archive for their Sunday morning programme "Je rêve donc je suis". Have you got an exact time for this extract?

87.8 Europe 1 Villefranche-de-Rouergue/le Breil, 300w

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly » 12 Aug 2018 00:16

Hi Brookman Spark. The recording started at 1000 UTC or 12 pm French time.

I looked up Radio Nova and fond the list of records played and it didn't match. Another suggestion of 'Mouv from Caen quickly had me finding the relevant podcast for the morning of Sunday 5th of August:

http://www.mouv.fr/player/reecouter?play=344904

And there it is, a little after 3 hours in, the same YL and the same song. So it is 'Mouv from Caen.

I'm guessing the vertical polarisation means it was peaking off beam.
Good DX.

Lucas | TransistorFR

Post by Lucas | TransistorFR » 13 Aug 2018 19:40

Hi!

Brookman Spark: Indeed, the YL is saying "Chaque jour de l'été..." but she doesn't say "sur Europe 1".
Nick Gilly: Good to see you managed to identify the station! Indeed, the music we can hear in your recording is in the style of Mouv'.
Airspy Mini & RTL-SDR.com V3 + 5-element Yagi & Ground Plane | Sony XDR-P1DBP | Sony XDR-S40DBP | Tecsun PL-600
YouTube Channel

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 14 Aug 2018 21:58

Yes this kind of music fits to "Mouv", the urban contemporary youth station of public broadcaster RadioFrance.
I have received this Lyon frequency before. Their sound on FM is very unique (but pretty bad). Like the music.

Europe1 is a 100 per cent news-talk radio and NOVA is not urban but alternative, the song does not fit to them.
Mouv (or le mouv' as it was called before) can be compared to Bremen Next, RTBF Pure FM, Virus or Kiss Berlin.

theme

Post by theme » 15 Aug 2018 18:23

I'd compare Mouv' to the English BBC Radio 1Xtra. They both broadcast hip-hop music only, and are both state-owned.

Lucas | TransistorFR

Post by Lucas | TransistorFR » 01 Sep 2018 17:52

Mouv' is not broadcasting Hip-Hop music only! Mouv' is also broadcasting Electronic music (as Dubstep), Reggae ect...
Radio Nova is broadcasting Urban music sometimes too. The musical programming is very eclectic.
Airspy Mini & RTL-SDR.com V3 + 5-element Yagi & Ground Plane | Sony XDR-P1DBP | Sony XDR-S40DBP | Tecsun PL-600
YouTube Channel

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 02 Sep 2018 10:29

correct. Mouv (before: le mouv) is not Rhythmic CHR but Urban Contemporary with Indie / Alternative ans electopop as well. Bands like Indochine, Télépopmusik or Starsailor are constantly aired but they are no hip hop at all.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paradisefm - Malta's N° 1 in dance and electronic
qths: Sliema MLT / Bavaria / Nth GER / Keitum-Sylt

useful: mwlist.org / intervalsignals.net / asiawaves.net / fmlist.org

theme

Post by theme » 02 Sep 2018 11:53

Nova is definitely one of the most diverse radio stations in France, it's rare not to hear many hits on a station nowadays (sigh).

Speaking of Mouv', I've only heard hip-hop the few times I've tuned in - but I trust you and will try to give it a listen again, very soon... not now, I've been listening to lots of Slam! from the Netherlands lately and can't get enough. Can't understand a single word, but 75% of the music is worth it.

Lucas | TransistorFR

Post by Lucas | TransistorFR » 02 Sep 2018 21:38

Mouv' is mostly broadcasting HIp-Hop/Urban music indeed, but sometimes you can hear other genres. I remember the good times when it was called Le Mouv' and to be honest I preferred the station at this era. I rarely listen to it since years now.

Radio Nova is, as you said Theme, one of the most diverse radio stations in France. Fortunately there are still stations like this one!
SLAM! is also a good station which broadcasts cool music in my opinion, even if I don't understand a single word too. Haha ;)
YouTube Channel

Return to “Unidentified?”