Another UNID on 107.4 with Muslim px, Albania?

Post your unidentified DX catches here
Nick Gilly

Another UNID on 107.4 with Muslim px, Albania?

Post by Nick Gilly » 30 May 2018 16:02

Hi all.

Here's another one on 107.4 from the big opening on May 28th. Albania was coming through at the time:

https://app.box.com/s/mei23glj2kh067ivo8jkjdhgh6m084f4

Is this also from Albania? The language spoken by the OM sounds like it might be.

Thanks.
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

PFM907

Re: Syria?!

Post by PFM907 » 30 May 2018 16:53

I am sure this is NOT from Albania. Of course, there are Muslim people in Albania (and Macedonia, too), but none of them speaks Arabic language as mother tongue. The part where he is talking about Mohammed AL Shabk, is Arabic and sounds like the imprint or beginning of a programme. Can't this be Latakia / Syria? At least, if that transmitter is working, the location is not far away from Cyprus, right at the Mediterranean Sea (in fact, it is Syria's only harbour city) and it is operating on high power, also with state radio. This area is under control of the opposition and also the radio station is controlled by them.

I am not sure, but there might be an ID "Id'haat-al-Ghad" after the welcoming greets around 2:08 minutes. You better show this to someone who is able to understand Arabic language, he should easily tell you about the dialect and the origin of the speaker as the pronounciation differs a lot depending on where it is spoken. Maroc Arabic is very different from Algerian Arabic and Gulf Arabic. As I do not speak Arabic at all, I would claim this is not from the Greater Maghreb area but from Lebanon / Libya or Syria.

Last year, this station has been caught in Hungary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQMmzSYY7CA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suriya_al-Ghad

Would be an amazing log if you're able to confirm.

Nick Gilly

Re: Another UNID on 107.4 with Muslim px, Albania?

Post by Nick Gilly » 30 May 2018 17:20

Thanks PFM907. Syria? Really? I know Syria is possible on E-skip from here but something tells me this is something closer. Do you not think the last minute in particular sounds Balkan/Albanian? A pity there's no talking on that Youtube clip.

I've emailed the clip to Mike Fallon. I think he understands some Arabic, or knows native Arabic speakers.

I also posted this on the Yahoo group, but typically, Yahoo took >40 minutes to forward it.
Good DX.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 30 May 2018 19:02

If I might take a guess, I would say the second part is the same welcoming greetings in Syriac language.
This is a dialect of the Aramaic language tree that belongs to a semitic group of afro-asiatic languages.
In fact, this can be regarded as a minority language spoken by Syrian christians in the eastern parts of
Turkey, in Northern Irak and in the North-Eastern parts of what today is seen as a remaining state Syria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syriac_language

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly » 30 May 2018 19:36

Hi PFM907. Alessandro Groppazzi replied on the Yahoo group saying that he thinks it's a Slavic language, maybe from BIH or MKD.

BIH - just one station listed on 107.4, Radio Otvorena Mreža, which according to Wikipedia is a " Community radio, station focuses on NGO news, contemporary pop music, talk shows and national news", so this would seem unlikely.

MKD: Kanal 4 - website appears to be down.
Makedonsko Radio 1 - Radio Skopje - Wikipedia says "The First channel, Radio Skopje, broadcasts a continuous 24-hour programme. It mainly functions as a talk radio", so I don't think it's that
Makedonsko Radio 3 - "The Third channel of Radio Skopje, broadcasts programmes in all the languages of the national minorities in the Republic of Macedonia, including Albanian (since 1948); Turkish (since 1945) 5 hours; Vlach (since 1991); Romany (since 1991); Serbian (since 2003) and Bosnian (since 2003) all 30 minutes each per day" - this seems to be most likely IMO. It could have been a programme for the Muslim population.

I still think Syria is unlikely as conditions weren't really right for extended reception that way. It's possible that Italy could have been blocking more distant signals further down the band but whenever I've had the Middle East there's usually been central European DX in as well. Albania and Croatia were coming in, as well as Italy at the time of reception, which would be a bit too far round the compass.

Any other thoughts?
Good DX.

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 31 May 2018 04:49

yes I have seen both of them, Otvorena Mreža lit. means "Open Network", this could be anything, maybe like some non-commercial project, don't know this station.
MK 4 ( "kanal 4 sportsko radio 107.4") seems to be like ERT 4th programme, a channel for live sport coverage: http://www.radiomk.com/live/kanal4-sportsko-radio/

I wonder why one of those should be broadcasting islam prayers and programs partly in arabic language.

Another option: What about the int. relay of VOA (and maybe others) in Tirana, lower Dajti mountain range using 107.4 ? did you check their schedule?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paradisefm - Malta's N° 1 in dance and electronic
qths: Sliema MLT / Bavaria / Nth GER / Keitum-Sylt

useful: mwlist.org / intervalsignals.net / asiawaves.net / fmlist.org

Brookman Spark

Post by Brookman Spark » 31 May 2018 13:29

Have to agree with the placing as BIH or nearby.

The chant is "Mubharak Ramazan" or Happy Ramadan. Followed by a sermon with intro in Arabic and then the local language of Balkan type. Religious terms are given in Arabic. Very unlikely that there would be a station ID within a sermon. Nice catch!

Edit: I'm reminded that my first ever Es catch gave an ID of Sarajevo. Early seventies, wasn't expecting it, no one to explain why I was hearing it, no one in easy reach to celebrate it with. I could have written a letter about it, but who to?

Return to “Unidentified?”