unknown propagation 8/8/17

Post your unidentified DX catches here
PFM907

unknown propagation 8/8/17

Post by PFM907 » 08 Sep 2017 19:14

I still have no idea what to think about this propagation received in Northern Germany about one month ago near the Baltic Sea.
On Aug.,8th. I experienced a slow spanish pop song with very loud modulation suddenly popping up on 98.4 FM while a local transmitter on 98.5 was off.

After a bit of research I found out this was Lo que nos mantiene unidos by Amaral.
This fits totally to the Soft AC style of Cadena DIAL and is also listed there to be frequently aired: http://www.cadenadial.com/artistas/amaral

The reception was possible only for ~40 seconds and there was NONE sporadic-e or aurora propagation at the same time. Audio was like tropo sc. with few fade and sometimes very good mono.
Cadena DIAL has verified that this song was indeed their output around 11:05 CEST the other day on all their national FM network frequencies.

Unfortunately, there are three possibilities of origin according to FMLIST and there was no local jingle or any ad in my recording.
In fact, I only heard a few lines of that song which was enough to enter the lyrics into google. All of them TX are common catches in GER.

Code: Select all

98.4	Cadena Dial València 	Monte Picayo	 (VAL-V) 	1796km 		214° 	20 	63dB
98.4 	Cadena Dial Mallorca	Sobremunt	 (BAL-ML) 	1702km 		206° 	8 	62dB 
98.4 	Cadena Dial Lleida 	Alpicat		 (CAT-L) 	1563km 		215° 	1.2 	55dB 
Any idea how to find out the transmitter I have received? After getting a QSL by the station operator, it would be a shame if the TX stays UNID.
Maybe someone else has experienced meteor scatter from Spain the other day around lunchtime? The angle and distance does not vary, all of them in the Catalunya / València region.

A very nice information at least: Few years ago, I was able to pick up Cadena 100 from València and Sí Ràdio from Benicàssim in Tyrol via airplane sc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paradisefm - Malta's N° 1 in dance and electronic
qths: Sliema MLT / Bavaria / Nth GER / Keitum-Sylt

Maciek

Re: unknown propagation 8/8/17

Post by Maciek » 08 Sep 2017 19:29

I'm afraid, without more reception results at the same time (maybe other frequencies from the same tx or neighbouring ones), the tx cannot be determined here.

Valencia in Tirol? That is like 1100kms! It was not AS for sure, which reaches up to 900kms with extreme hi-gain antenna (Konrad managed it, my AS record is 778kms), typically less, not more than 600kms with a regular receiver and antenna.

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 08 Sep 2017 19:39

Concerning the VAL log it was in Reutte near the border with Bavaria. It must be between 1300 and 1400 k!! The ID "Cadena cien" was clear audible and I even saw the airplane. Later it happened again on 101.8 or 102.8 with a spanish song that could be traced back to Si Radio (this station does not exist anymore in 2017).
Guess the airplanes were starting at Innsbruck or coming down to Munich. There were many of them, all flying towards north.

This was a very surprising experience. I then also recognized weaker signals (like Dasding from Ulm) getting up to S=4 when there was an airplane crossing.

My guess would be that the Asc signal was reflected by the Hahnenkamm mountain range or the Alps. It was winter (Dec or Jan) with 1 mtr snow around even down in the valley. So no chance for sporadic-e (my most early ES was in February). I have no other explanation for those spanish signals. In fact there were no cars or people around who might have caused these audio signals. Could this have been Msc at daytime? Both receptions were ~ 30 sec.

Regarding 98.4 there was a recording but it has been deleted as the PRISA RADIO GRUPO stations do not have differences in audio quality, so there were no hints or clues in those 40 seconds. sorry...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paradisefm - Malta's N° 1 in dance and electronic
qths: Sliema MLT / Bavaria / Nth GER / Keitum-Sylt

Maciek

Post by Maciek » 08 Sep 2017 20:04

Well, an airplane flying low won't produce long range Asc reflection. My furtherst happened when a big aircraft was 11000 above ground.
Airplanes in your line of sight can of course boost signals you constantly receive weaker.

It must have been ionospheric. Airscatter at such distances will not happen, if your horizon is obstructed, not to ever mention in the mountains.

Msc at daytime? Of course, it is possible.
Don't rule out SpE too.

Return to “Unidentified?”