Unidentified relay of Extra Radio, Germany on 89.2

Post your unidentified DX catches here
John Faulkner, Skegness

Unidentified relay of Extra Radio, Germany on 89.2

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 31 Jul 2017 10:40

During a period of short Es to the Bavarian region of Germany on June 16th, I received a station on 88.0 with the PI code DA1A. This was Extra Radio from Hof, a new one for me. Then I noticed a station on 89.2 with the same programme. Do our German DXers know who this could be? My suspicion was initially Radio Eins from Coburg since this is the only listed station I can see from Bavaria, but their programme schedule does not mention relaying Extra Radio. The time of reception was 19:07. Perhaps this is a new outlet for Extra Radio?

Thank you.

John.

PFM907

Re: Unidentified relay of Extra Radio, Germany on 89.2

Post by PFM907 » 31 Jul 2017 13:01

At this time, extra radio 88.0 from Hof does share their frequency from the Grosser-Waldstein transmitting site with Radio EuroHerz (both using the SAME pi code!!!).
However, it is planned that both will get an own network without time-sharing (which has caused trouble in the past regarding the listener audience surveys)
Listeners have not always been able to differ between both stations (with completely different owners!) on the same FM frequency.
That is why EuroHerz is about to use far-reaching 88 FM itself while extra radio will get the formerly Radio Galaxy Hochfranken network.
There has been lots of discussions and judgement about this difficult situation.
Grosser-Waldstein transmitter has a good coverage (especially 89.3 FM - next interference is Grosser Feldberg or Berchtesgaden on the same QRG).
In the past (before 1990), these have been used by RIAS and where very popular in Saxony and Thuringia during GDR times.
88 FM has in fact more trouble with BR Klassik on the same frequency but may be heard north to Regensburg.
Anyway, all local stations from Bavaria (including Radio Arabella) relay a unite fill-up programme ("Mantelprogramm") produced and provided by the BLR.
BLR is the operator delivering news and also music during evening, night time and weekends or holiday.
All the smaller stations stop own local schedule at 6 PM or 7 PM weekdays and even earlier weekends (sometimes already 1 PM).
Since 2017, many stations have decided not to take-over BLR's programme anymore but send out own automatical generated non-stop musical px.
These own playlists may be ident to BLR's music plans in very few cases, but do not contain of presentation.
BLR's software is able to send out local jingles for all 64 local radio stations at the same time.
I am quite sure you have heard Radio1 from Coburg, Eckhardtsberg on 89.2 FM if they relay "Mantelprogramm" by BLR at night.
These shifts are simply called "Nachtschicht, Spätschicht, Extrafrüh" etc. without mentioning the name BLR .

I have found back this BLR show on Radio1s page:

SPÄTSCHICHT

Montag – Freitag 20:00 bis 24:00 Uhr

(CEST 20:00 is GMT / UK 19:00 so this fits)

Furthermore, regarding 88 FM I be aware that in the evening it could have been Radio EuroHerz (morning and overnight) and not extraradio (daytime) as well !

www.blr.de
http://www.blr.de/?NAV_ID=2&RUBRIK_ID=9&P_ID=1
http://www.radioeins.com/
http://www.euroherz.de/

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLR_%28Unternehmen%29
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra-Radio
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Euroherz

(not to be confused with RBB Radio1 or Radioeins)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paradisefm - Malta's N° 1 in dance and electronic
qths: Sliema MLT / Bavaria / Nth GER / Keitum-Sylt

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 31 Jul 2017 16:27

Thank you very much for this PFM. You have all the info again! :)

I also received another outlet of the same programme on 92.1. I can only guess that this is Radio Bamberg from Bamberg Buttenheim. There's nothing else which appears to fit. Bamberg Buttenheim is near Coburg so, again, this all seems quite likely.

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 31 Jul 2017 19:12

Congrats on these small local transmitters.
I did not even manage to receive them in Bavaria itself (Upper Bavaria) for 5 years now ...

Indeed I also found back the BLR relay on the Radio Bamberg site:

SPÄTSCHICHT

Montag – Freitag 20:00 bis 24:00 Uhr

http://www.radio-bamberg.de/sendungen/

all these stations in Franconia belong to the same group/ operating committee

their (Radio 1 Coburg, Radio Bamberg, Radio EuroHerz, Radio Plassenberg) boss is Mr. Salzmann.

even their web sites look the same (depending on the colours used)

in the Radio NRW network you also have few stations that belong together

btw Buttenheim-Kälberberg is a very good transmitting site, 101.1 FM with Antenne BY is up with 25 kW
and can be heard even in the Alps on good locations. Buttenheim Kälberberg is the private chain's replacement site for Bamberg-Geisberg which is used by BR only. Buttenheim reaches much more far towards South and South East then Geisberg does (not to be confused with Gaisberg Salzburg)

if you ever get to that area with the ES clouds watch out for AFN on 93.5 FM
low power tx but can be heard on mountains near the border with Austria !

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 31 Jul 2017 22:11

Me? Confused? ;)

Thank you again for this information.
PFM907 wrote:
31 Jul 2017 19:12
Congrats on these small local transmitters.
I did not even manage to receive them in Bavaria itself (Upper Bavaria) for 5 years now ...
Sporadic E can do this! :)

PFM907

Post by PFM907 » 01 Aug 2017 20:34

yes if there WAS sporadic-e it COULD ;)

no acitity so far the last 3 days already....

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 01 Aug 2017 22:56

Yes, it's very 'sporadic' at the moment ;)

Return to “Unidentified?”