Today's UNIDs from Israel and the Middle East

Post your unidentified DX catches here
PFM907

Re: Today's UNIDs from Israel and the Middle East

Post by PFM907 » 06 Mar 2018 08:58

congrats on those amazing catches from the Middle East. maximum respect!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paradisefm - Malta's N° 1 in dance and electronic
qths: Sliema MLT / Bavaria / Nth GER / Keitum-Sylt

useful: mwlist.org / intervalsignals.net / asiawaves.net / fmlist.org

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Today's UNIDs from Israel and the Middle East

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 06 Mar 2018 10:44

:oops: Thanks P

Maximum LUCK really. Being in the right place at the right time. This got me thinking:

The first five years living here on the east coast produced NOTHING in the way of extended Es reception. Other DXers were reporting plenty. It was quite frustrating and I wondered if my location was somehow wrong for these double hop/Es extensions. Another DXer told me to have patience as it would happen eventually and probably when I least expected it. He was right.

I remember the first day I had Turkey. Istanbul was at GOOD levels. Not just weak and choppy, but strong enough for perfect stereo and right to the top of the band! The timing was bad as I had to go out. I left the SDR recording. While I was driving around town, I was listening to Damla FM on 87.5 in the car! It seemed surreal.

The Israeli DX was occasionally at good levels too!

The receiving equipment doesn't always have to be top notch either: I am not one for sitting out lengthy pile-ups on the ham bands, but I achieved a superb extended Es to Gambia on 6m one summer's day. After ONE HOUR of trying to break through the congestion, a signal from Gambia lifted suddenly to S9 and I called. He heard me at S9 too. My setup was a simple three element beam only three metres above the ground.

An Australian DXer once told me that I would NEVER achieve transatlantic Es on 6m because of my poor setup and poor location. How wrong he was.

Return to “Unidentified?”