Dx from inside an Aeroplane.

Sniffingmoose

Dx from inside an Aeroplane.

Post by Sniffingmoose » 12 Nov 2017 18:56

Took a flight last week from Alesund (Norway) to Amsterdam, heard DAB from Norway, Denmark & Germany & Netherlands but most interesting was BBC Radio Scotland on 93.1. I assume this was from Meldrum as we were just south or Bergan at the time. I was sitting on a window seat the eastern side of the aircraft. I should of sat on the other side to see if any more Uk transmitters were audiable.
Chris T
Burton on Trent
On a hill facing south west. Height 340 feet ASL
52.7992°N 1.612°W

Antference 4 Element Horizontal Beaming West high up up on the Chimney
Maplin DAB 4 element Beaming South West
Folded Dipole Vertical in the loft.

Maciek

Re: Dx from inside an Aeroplane.

Post by Maciek » 16 Nov 2017 21:24

I was able to scan during my flight from Warsaw to Malta (April 2016) with a portable radio in an mp3 player. Luckily it has record function, and here's what I got as the route proceeded (some nice DXs!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzjsTp59VTU

One DX in particular - Radio Vatican in Swahili!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSIwEsfEomg

Sorry for digging the old thread, but I always do a search, instead of starting a new one. Found this.
(EDIT after posting - just realised it's someone else's logs thread)

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 17 Nov 2017 00:10

Fascinating! Really interesting to see the positions on the map and the views from the plane! What an excellent video. :)

Franco Martelli

Post by Franco Martelli » 17 Nov 2017 13:28

Many thanks to Maciek for this interesting video.

I am a little doubtful about your identification of Radio 24 on 106.8: in the recording you can hear a fragment of talk sports but in the late afternoon they never broadcast sports and the speaker has a Southern accent which would be very unusual for Radio 24.
Rx: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909

Maciek

Post by Maciek » 17 Nov 2017 13:50

Buon pomeriggio Franco, thank you for the thought! Much appreciated!
I received 106,8 R.24 during this flight, yet might have mislabeled the recordings and posted wrong one. Had doubts myself too, everytime I heard R.24 they were talking politics. There were so many clips from this scan and my radio does not label them automatically. Apart from that, many stations aired an ID.

I posted this clip (once again, labeled as R.24 on 106,8) because of really interesting scatter-like effect (quick fading cycles). Strange, given I was on a plane:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzjsTp59VTU

Return to “Chris Thomas, Lleyn Peninsula”