SpE - more Iraqi stations from May 29th 2016 1300 UTC

daveB

SpE - more Iraqi stations from May 29th 2016 1300 UTC

Post by daveB » 31 May 2016 16:41

I've now gone through more of the wav file download and have got THREE more stations for consideration.

93.9 MHz https://app.box.com/s/zyysj59piqefpeyndgo2wdau14ahhcek there is a very distinctive bell/clock chime followed by the sation id which sounds like "Radio Nooah". I tracked it down to Radio Nawa (Iraq)- which has a live stream and on the half hour just gone - the same distinctive chime. Listen carefully at 40 seconds into the recording and keep it in mind when you listen to the next one. (And the same distinctive chime/bell and run in format just after the hour today)

Link to Radio Nawa webstream http://streema.com/radios/play/22749 as I can't record the streaming audio into WavPlayer (I messed up the set up). Try on/just after the hour and half-hour.

89.5 MHz https://app.box.com/s/9y3lfdna45k6vbjrvogksy755nmtxb8e At the beginning of the recording the run up to a news broadcast starts and the announcer mentions "Ukraine"Just under 1 minute into the recording the presenter says "Parliament Iraq" - but listen carefully beforehand at around 40 seconds - the distinctive bell/chime is underneath - and Radio Nawa from Kirkuk is listed (my 3rd station for consideration). There is also a female 'arabic-type' voice underneath. So what IS the station at the beginning - Ukrainian? and is it the same announcer saying "Parliament Iraq"? it is getting very confusing.

You'll also notice the downside of being so close to Europe - 93.9 has German tropo and 89.5 has Belgian tropo interfering at times

Having slept on it overnight these are my current thoughts - based on the fact that all my reception at the time was on a bearing of 97-100 deg - mostly 98 degrees.

Yesterday's postings:

1. the Quranic chanting on 87.9 and 88.0 - during the time the two were in sync - can only be Turkey either Nagme or TRT1.

2. the station on 89.0 - Radio Javan from Iran - voice id - and thanks to all for confirmation. Tentatively identified as coming from Kuh-e Nuh - 3kw - 4070km/100 degrees - but there are other possibilities including a 100 kw station at Shustar (4420km/100 deg). [But it has be logged somewhere!]

3. the Arabic on 88.0 - IRQ Radio Duhok - Kirkuk (3866 km / 100 deg) - same as location as the background station on 89.5

4. the Arabic on 91.5 - IRQ Babar Gurgur Radio - Kirkuk (3866 km / 100 deg). It has been pointed out that in this recording the announcer is saying "Lebanon" in arabic. This would be a very different direction to all my other loggings - but half an hour later TV from Jordan on Ch E£ was received in Sorn nr Ayr - so it can't be ruled out.

Today's postings

5. The station on 89.5 with announcer saying " Ukraine" near the start and "Parliament Iraq" about a minute later. Is this two different stations??

6. The station on 93.9 MHz with the distinctive bell/chime - Radio Nawa (Iraq) on an unlisted frequency.

More feedback would be appreciated - looks like the 29th has been a good day for more than one DXer.

By the way - where do I find the RealDX yahoo group - I can find reference to an e-mail to RealDX{@}yahoogroups.com but can't find the group.

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Tim Bucknall
Location: Congleton, often in the Peak District, sometimes in Poland or Kresy

Re: SpE - more Iraqi stations from May 29th 2016 1300 UTC

Post by Tim Bucknall » 31 May 2016 17:49

Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 31 May 2016 21:11

not Ukraine, just someone talking about it imo
plus theres only a flea power in Volyn on 89.5
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 31 May 2016 21:19

if your recording includes the half hour, check for Iran time pips
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 02 Jun 2016 09:31

Hello Dave,

I have actually been to Iraq (Kurdistan region).

It is safer for countries outside of Europe to assume that the fmlist is incorrect.
You seem to be trying to fit your real reception to a fictitious list of stations :-)

You have made an error about R Duhok and R Nawa. These stations are broadcast in Kurdish not Arabic. ,"Nawa" is pronounced as it is written, so your ID is a different station using Arabic. (I found my recordings and notes a short while ago)
Kurdish is from the same language group as Farsi, it is not similar to Arabic.

It is difficult to work from your recordings as the file names don't match the frequencies in your notes.

On one recording there is a sermon in Arabic with a second man translating into another language maybe Kurdish but not easy to copy due to cci.

Peter

daveB

Post by daveB » 02 Jun 2016 15:10

Hi Peter,

My apologies for any confusion with file names - the trouble is a combination of fat fingers and it was getting late.

I agree FMList is incomplete and yes I am trying to fit my reception into FMList which is probably why I not making any sense of it.

So what I do have is a consensus that both recordings on 89.0 have the ID Radio Javan - so that's definite - but there are a number of stations - this includes a 100 kW station at Shushtar / Gotvand - 4424 km/100deg

Matthias identified the clips on 88.0 and 91.5 as being Arabic - no mention of 93.9.

On 93.9 MHz I have a station which uses an antique clock chiming as an id followed by the announcement that I tried to phonetically transcribe - it sounded like "Nooah" to me :D . I tracked down a live webstream for Radio Nawa and bingo - the antique clock - the announcer saying "Noowah" - and signature music - this matches my reception except I've not heard him say "Radio Nuowah" the last three times I checked - just "[garble] Noowah". The clip below marries the received id and the streaming id. There are the same aren't they? Which underscores your point - as 93.9 is not listed in FMList.

https://app.box.com/s/bsktt4d2f94x5zvvpbfkyroi69cjjcmw

This is the clip for 89.5MHz I should have posted - all 6 minutes - at the start you have a punchy news bulletin but then in the background you can hear the antique clock chime and then as things continue a yl news reader's voice comes and goes under the male news reader. So I identify the underlying station as Radio Nawa which, rightly or wrongly is listed as Kirkuk [3866km/100deg]

https://app.box.com/s/8t6keop8ud70n076skmnllcljgleyav2

As for the others - yes educated speculation - on the basis that the stations all came from the same area - and if anyone which station uses a two bird calls/chirps as an id - please let me know! [R Duhok is a wrong assumption as 88.0 was identified by Matthias as arabic. - but what Arabic station is on 88.0 other than Bagdhad?]

DAvid
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 02 Jun 2016 15:30

the recording on 88.0 is the one with an Arabic preacher followed by a second man translating.
I have dl the latest clips. I,ll compare them to mine.

Peter

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 02 Jun 2016 16:36

Good news Dave.

The stations on 93.9 & 89.5 are both Radio Nawa in Kurdish. On your 93.9 recording the om pronouces Nawa differently, or maybe he is saying a different word such as Kurdish for ;News".
The webstream pronouces Nawa with two short a's, as does the om in the 89.5 recording. This matches my recording from 91.9 of the local outlet of Radio Nawa in Zakho. The 89.5 recording also refers to the Parliament Iraq, which indicates a "foreign" Parliament. He also says Kurdistan in that clip.

A yl under R Nawa on the 89.5 clip sounds Iranian which would make sense.

Congrats

Peter

senderjaeger

Post by senderjaeger » 02 Jun 2016 19:58

Hi Dave,

after repeated listening to your 89.5 clip, I'm pretty sure that the station identifies as Denge [...?] at 11 seconds, followed by the news bulletin (in which Kurdistan is mentioned repeatedly). First I thought it sounded like Denge Mezopotamya, but after all the audio is too distorted to be sure. No doubt about the word Denge (meaning "Voice of") though.

A Kurdish exile station called Denge Mesopotamya has been known to broadcast on shortwave via hired transmitters in several Eastern European countries since late 2001 if I remember correctly. Some time ago they changed name to Denge Kurdistan and they're still scheduled on SW. I have no idea whether they also have FM coverage in the target area. At least I found an Iraqi station called Denge Mezopotamya listed on tunein.com (but no stream available).

The YL news presenter mixing in as of 1:40 is actually speaking Dutch and a "Klara" ID is heard at 4:27, so that's VRT Klara from Belgium.

73, Matthias
QTH: near Hannover, Germany

daveB

Post by daveB » 02 Jun 2016 22:01

Peter: Thanks for confirming both stations are R Nawa - the problems with all the signals at the time is the fact they are in effect waltzing in and out with other exotics and VRT Klara on 89.5 / Germany on 93.9.

If the yl on 89.5 is speaking Iranian (Farsi) the only listed is Radio Salamat from Tehran - which is somewhat off the general propagation path for the time - but would be fantastic if ever confirmed.

At the moment my thinking is the stations I got are all clustered around the Iraq/Iran border area to the far west of each country - and in the ballpark distance of 3866 km (R Nawa - Kirkuk on 89.5) to maybe 4100 km. This allows the arabic station on 91.5 to be Baghdad and gives three or four viable candidates for R Javan without going out as far as Razan that I've tentatively logged. More than that I can't pin down (did I mention the bird-song id? :D ) but at least the country identification is secure.

I've actually printed out and mounted the Great Circle map centred on my QTH and managed to get it to 54 x 60 cm. I married up six A4 sheets almost perfectly. It literally gives a completely different view of the direction of propagation - and well worth doing - even if you only have is as a pdf file on the computer for reference. For instance from my QTH the reflection points are nowhere near Lake Balaton - but the Black Sea definitely is. (BTW - never heard of that lake before now)

I'm now going to archive the web files before my sanity (or ears) fail me.
The YL news presenter mixing in as of 1:40 is actually speaking Dutch and a "Klara" ID is heard at 4:27, so that's VRT Klara from Belgium.
Matthias - I know VRT Klara very well - especially the sister station on 90.4 from Egem - it might as well be a local station for me. Strangley with both these stations they are vertically polarised - but in weak tropo conditions are jsaust as good on horizontal. I don't know why - and I don't know why I get hordes of low powered verticals from Italy the Balkans etc on the horizontal aerial. 93.9 has got a near local german station as well. In fact tropo reception was a nuisance!
I'm pretty sure that the station identifies as Denge [...?] at 11 seconds, followed by the news bulletin (in which Kurdistan is mentioned repeatedly).

I think I can hear the repeated mention of Kurdistan - he is speaking very quickly though. Googling throws up quite a few references to Denge Kurdistan and there is a web-site Radyoya Denge Kurdistane so whatever this station is (with Radio Nawa unnderneath with it's clock chimes) it fits the general area.

David

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly » 02 Jun 2016 22:21

Hi Dave. I wonder about the tx site we had in Iran on 89.0 now. I see that the single hop Hungarian and Romanian stations that came in a little afterwards are all in the 95 to 98 deg azimuth from here. The Ahar/Kuh-e Qezel Qayah tx which I mentioned earlier is at 91 deg from here so maybe that is a little off-path? The next big tx in Iran that is on path is Shushtar/Govand at 98 deg, but the distance is 4566 km which is starting to seem too far. This is in the west of the country and not that far from the Iraqi border but is near the SE corner of that country. There are other nearer ones but they are either much lower power or have 0 in the power column. A Black Sea reflection point would also match the access to the Es cloud over Turkey that was bringing in the exotic DX, although normally a Black Sea reflection point would be too far away.

Then there's the fact that two people have suggested my clip is in fact IRIB Radio Iran, which would mean another rethink if true. At least I know it definitely came from Iran!
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 02 Jun 2016 22:43

You're welcome Dave.

The Iraqi Kurdistan autonomous region is in North Eastern Iraq not West Iraq, as you said in your post.

I received R Nawa on
91.9 Zakho

None of these are on the FMlist.

I forgot to mention that R Nawa is overmodulated and distorted even when received locally, so it is not an effect of the propagation.

Peter

daveB

Post by daveB » 03 Jun 2016 08:17

Hi Peter,
Sorry about the geography - I was looking at the great circle map which puts that part of Iraq pretty much due east of me - which then translated to "west" in my head. I should know better - but I was trying to multi-task - and we all know it's only our wives who can do that successfully :lol:

daveB

Post by daveB » 03 Jun 2016 08:42

Hi Nick,
My Iraqi reception definitely had "Radio Javan" as the announcements. I also noted Shushtar - which is certainly well within the verified distance records for FM-DX (eg Paul Logan's NA reception a few years back). Unfortunately there is no chance of confirming the transmitter site.

DAvid

Return to “Dave B, Sittingbourne”