SpE log - 26 May 2016. Double hop reception

daveB

SpE log - 26 May 2016. Double hop reception

Post by daveB » 27 May 2016 23:01

Yesterday morning I decided to start recording the bottom 7.2 MHz of the band, rather than scanning it. I've only just started to go through files - but was gob-smacked to find a half-dozen stations from Turkey with pi codes at 0913 to 0914 UTC. Four were from the Ankara-Dikmen transmitter site at 2772 km, one was from Belkisir, and the sixth one - SuperFM could be one of four sites. Reception lasted about 1 minute and was mixed in with semi-local tropospheric stuff and didn't stand out - unlike the ones from Serbia that popped up 5 minutes later.

88.0 PI:3201 PS:?
88.2 PI:3220 PS: RADYO KU'RAN
88.4 PI:31BD PS: RA????? TRAF???? ??DY??? [pulled from RDSSpy stream] = RADY[O] TRAF[FIC]
88.8 PI:321E PS:SH??????
90.6 PI:4598 PS:?
90.8 PI:322E PS:?

Then checking the 24/7 scanning on one of the dongles at 23:01 Estonia had popped up !

Add to that R1 and R2 TV with some fair pictures and a completely overwhelming opening to Italy mid-afternoon I need a couple of reception-free days to catch up!

Looks like the 2016 season is well and truly underway.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: SpE log - 26 May 2016. Double hop reception

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 28 May 2016 00:12

Wow! Fantastic stuff Dave. I'd love to know what your 4598 is on 90.6.

Your reception of 88.2 was 20 minutes after mine, suggesting that the path moved to the south after I'd had it here. If only I'd had the use of the S2 at that time. I wonder if I'd have been able to nail something else from that area.

daveB

Post by daveB » 28 May 2016 09:31

I wonder if I'd have been able to nail something else from that area.

It is almost certain you would have done. It is becoming more and more clear to me - using the File Player from Vasily (rtl-sdr.ru) with the waterfall display expanded as much as possible - that you can see distinct patterns of reception. I am often seeing relatively short (1-2 min) signals suddenly appear and across the spectrum there can be two, three, or more signals with exactly the same footprint. Identify each on from the RDS and FMList and they turn out to be all from the same transmitter site or extremely close by. It happens on both SpE, Tropo, AuEs and aircraft scatter. I posted a screen-shot of this phnomena at the beginning of January 2016 from my Faroe Is. reception. Apart from anything else it is dead useful for pinning down the location of Italian stations.

Now you have got your PC back up and running have you tried using HDSDR to do wav recordings? You would need to copy the ExtIO.dll for the FDM to the HDSDR folder. As I replied to another of your posts you can use the Daily Scheduler and listen live at the same time.

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 28 May 2016 10:16

Yes, I've seen those reception patterns on the S2 waterfall. Very distinctive. If there is more than opening in progress, you can see exactly which stations fade up and down from which Es cloud. Quite something.

I was going to do the psu swap yesterday evening, but I need to reinstall Windows too. There wasn't really enough time to do both. I'd have been up until daybreak. Today is looking unlikely too as family are visiting and I have work to do too, which requires the use of the computer. Maybe this evening if there aren't any Es.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 28 May 2016 11:46

Sorry, I missed the point about using HDSDR.

Now then, I need to get my brain cell into gear again for this. I'm not sure about using HDSDR for recording as I would want to play back the recordings in the S2 - which is not possible. From what I can remember (I know this was only discussed recently, but my brain cell is full to capacity and really needs a format and John Faulkner v7 Home reinstalling) wouldn't I have to play recordings back in SDR# ?? This is what messed up my computer before - every time! I don't want Zadig anywhere near my computer. It's bad enough having to use it for the latest Perseus now.

In other words, I'll probably stick to what I know well, just the S2 for recording and the S2 for playback. I can work around the awkwardness of the S2's record scheduler. I only wish there was a button to switch off the automatic recording, as opposed to removing all the scheduled times. Either that, or being able to edit the file associated with the scheduler, if that's possible.

daveB

Post by daveB » 28 May 2016 21:07

Record on HDSDR - play back on SDR# using the FilePlayer plugin from rtl-sdr.ru. You do not need to use zadiq - it is only for installing the RTL2832 dll if using an RTL dongle.

The advantages of File Player in SDR# are that 1) you get to see a complete waterfall (or is it a sonogram) of the recording - if you open out the waterfall 2) you can use the asymmetric IF filter to remove adjacent channel interference from one side. Obviously you use MPX Output to send the audio to VAC and hence to RDSSpy. I've also realised that even if you have a squashed up display of the spectrum you can zoom oput to just a couple of channels wide and still see adjacent stations.

BTW - you need to set a green flag on your logging of RADYO KU'RAN from Ankara - 2852 km is exceptional - great DX!

David

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 May 2016 09:13

Aha!

One to do when Windows is fully reinstalled. Thanks. I have the memory of a ....... er ...

BUT ... I just found out how to create a series of more complex record schedules within xml files within the S2, so we'll see how that goes first. Nevertheless, definitely one I'll be bearing in mind if there are problems with this.

I have added the green flag to all the recent double-hop loggings. Never thought to do this. Hope you've done the same to yours :) 2800 is fantastic and I'll welcome any more. I am uploading a file of yesterday's Ankara double hop which I will post in the SDR section shortly.

Thanks Dave.

daveB

Post by daveB » 29 May 2016 09:30

Back to the opriginal posting - I got an e-mail from Kurt Zscherp pointing out that the reception on 88.8 - Show Raydo would be Ankara - which currently has a different pi code on FMList. The reception on 90.8 could be Super FM also from Ankara - if the pi code has been changed to match other transmitter sites. Makes sense as all six showed up at the same time - but a change of pi code will need to be confirmed.

Hope you get the recording sorted. If you can write your own xml script you can rename the extension so the software ignores it when you don't want the Daily Scheduler active - only a moment to do so.

David

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 May 2016 09:58

Uploaded now Dave: Posted here: viewtopic.php?f=65&p=11471#p11471

A straight-forward wav file this time. No compression. No need with only 15 seconds worth of recording. It contains the best of the Ankara reception.

The xml files for the S2 scheduler can be swapped around as needed. Not quite as simple as having an on/off setting in the SW2 software, but it's more versatile this way as I could have a file for MS, or files for certain times of the day and different durations, etc. All you have to do is re-name the files accordingly. I'll have a blank one there when I'm DXing live.

You'll understand the beauty of having editable xml files. Software like TextPad allows very simple editing of large amounts of repetitive data. Really looking forward to setting this up.

There were a couple of other presumed Ankara stations coming in here during both openings. They were too weak to identify so no loggings made. I'll never know for certain, but it's almost a given as to what they were.

Hopefully you'll do even better with yesterday's Ankara opening. It wasn't as strong as the one on the 26th, but it spread slightly higher up the band here.

Return to “Dave B, Sittingbourne”