Faroe Islands AuEs reception 01/01/2016

daveB

Faroe Islands AuEs reception 01/01/2016

Post by daveB » 01 Jan 2016 21:20

My gob was well and truly smacked! Full RDS from the Faroe Islands on 89.9. As they were playing a Simon and Garfunkel song - I think the title is "Streets of London" - I could easily identify the second transmitter on 92.8. Screen shot attached - if you want to hear the clip put the record on - it was that clear. Note that I had to use the asymetric IF filter to remove BBC R2 interference from 90.0 in order to get the full PS name on RDSSpy. (Ignore the frequency on RDSSpy as it never gets updated).
FaroesDX_01Jan2016_0144UTC.png
That's never going to happen again!

EDIT: knock me over with a feather - also on 94.3 - the fuzzy bit third in from the left at the same time!

David

The Shetland islands must be in there somewhere!
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Faroe Islands AuEs reception 01/01/2016

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 01 Jan 2016 23:03

WOW Dave! Nice one :) Never had the Faroes, but I am keeping my fingers crossed as I still have a few more files to check through yet. I have not got to the point where Iceland came through. Hopefully this evening.

daveB

Re: Faroe Islands AuEs reception 01/01/2016

Post by daveB » 02 Jan 2016 22:59

Having now gone through all the recordings I have just realised that getting the Faroe Islands was pure 'luck'. Recordings had been going on since 10pm on the 31st - the north-easterly direction had a fair bit of electrical noise at the time so I had moved the aerial around to the North - actually NNW would be nearer the mark. That reduced the noise without then beaming full on across the UK. So the beam heading was optimum for FRO - with a usable spread from Iceland to Norway/Finland. Twenty five minutes later I'd woken up (as you do at my age) and decided to do some live monitoring - towards the NE as the first couple of AuES stations were better on the NE aerial. If I had got up that little bit earlier......

I also gain the impression that others were beaming NE. I also took a chance on the NNW direction as the NASA chart indicated that the aurora was shifting round to that direction.

It just shows you can have all sorts of technology but .....

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Return to “Dave B, Sittingbourne”