Skywaves Chat

General information about the Skywaves DX Forums
John Faulkner, Skegness

Skywaves Chat

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 17 Mar 2015 12:43

For the last few years, we have been using Skype for the Skywaves chat. It's not ideal as a chat client but has done a decent job until recently. It has become quite cumbersome to use and Skype's excessive use of memory and other resources has been well documented on the internet. Time for a change we think, but to what?

The main problem we have with Skype now is that, thanks to the latest update, all moderator privileges have been removed and there is no way we can approve new users or make any other necessary changes. Sooner or later, Skype forces the latest version on you, whether you want it or not.

There is a phpBB chat service but it is still being developed. In the meantime, we are looking for something to replace Skype until such times when the phpBB chat has been fully tested and is supported on future updates. I wondered about mIRC as we have used it in the past, but it looks a lot more bloated than it used to be. We just want something simple and uncluttered.

Is mIRC the obvious solution of is there a better alternative? Any suggestions gratefully received.

http://www.mirc.co.uk/about.html

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Re: Skywaves Chat

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 18 Mar 2015 13:18

I don't know of any other chat clients as Skype is the only one I have used but the chat I think is very good especially when there's an opening and we can share what we are getting in real time.

The recent version of Skype has been troublesome here so a good alternative would be good.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 18 Mar 2015 13:41

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=34215

mchat seems to get a few votes.

Stuart

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 18 Mar 2015 21:19

Thanks Stuart.

That's the one we're keeping an eye on. Sadly it isn't currently fully supported by phpBB just yet. A degree of modification is necessary to implement this at the moment and that doesn't always come without problems. We will wait until mchat becomes an official extension first, then it will be supported by all the updates.

In the meantime we are just looking for something simple. I found this earlier http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... client.htm and still haven't read right through it. It's been 'one of those days' today.

I'm not against Skype and I think it does what it does extremely well. We occasionally use the video chat to keep in touch with family and friends around the world, but it's a bit overkill for just a chat room and its resource-hungry attitude can be annoying.

Return to “Welcome to new members!”