Forum Software Update - January 11th 2015

General information about the Skywaves DX Forums
John Faulkner, Skegness

Forum Software Update - January 11th 2015

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 03 Jan 2015 11:59

Scheduled for Sunday 11th January at 1500.

This will include the latest software update and the new automatic updater.

Please note that the forum will be offline for a few minutes.

Edit: The automatic updater is not currently available for this version.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Forum Software Update - January 11th 2015

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 11 Jan 2015 17:18

Forum software update completed.

The Tapatalk installation will be done shortly.

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 12 Jan 2015 17:21

In Chrome all day today the forum has been slow and the bottom status bar is forever "Waiting for skywavesdx.org" - It's like the browser is waiting for data which the site is not sending.

Stuart

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 12 Jan 2015 18:09

Thanks for reporting this. I'll have to let Julian deal with the hosting side here as I don't have access.

I occasionally get the same thing and have checked with Julian and also asked others on the chat if they are having the same problems. It seems the problems are always localised and not the result of a hosting problem. Other members experience this too, but only briefly and it's never an issue across the membership. Quite frustrating when it happens as I can be waiting a minute or more for each page to load. A few minutes later and it's lightning fast again.

I should let Julian come in here regarding the hosting but suffice to say he has made enquiries on more than one occasion and they have not found any faults or slowness.

Sometimes, when a new hosting package is used for the first time, there can be a slightly restrictive cap on the speeds so they can assess the bandwidth usage needed. It's the same as when you first connect to a new ISP. They won't just throw unlimited bandwidth at you, but give you what you need, albeit with some reduced speeds to begin with.

It would be useful if anybody else can report any slowness in the page loading, or any other errors, so we can make a log and try to find out where the problems are. It doesn't seem to be the hosting, but that is if they are not telling us porkies. At the time of writing this a page will fully load in one second.

Thanks.

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 12 Jan 2015 20:43

I have noticed the odd spell when the forum is slow and a few mins later it's fast and it's fast now as I type this.
I wonder if it's due to traffic on the server.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

Return to “Welcome to new members!”