48m barrel scrapings (Alinco Scanner test)

Tim Bucknall
Location: Congleton, often in the Peak District, sometimes in Poland or Kresy

48m barrel scrapings (Alinco Scanner test)

Post by Tim Bucknall » 21 Dec 2015 11:59

Having solved the power issue on my otherwise excellent Alinco Scanner with a factory reset and having made up the correct adapter
I took it mobile yesterday afternoon to see how it would cope with being hooked up to a CB whip

I was pleasantly surprised that the only overload noted in the 22- 300mhz range where I do all my listening was a spur of Heart 105.4 on 87.7

the overload (caused by CRI SW tx's btw) was in the tropical bands and if i'd wanted to listen down there I wouldn't be using a scanner anyway

F2 was non existent so I tuned down to 48m
6210 Radio Oscar Zulu, 1459ut mixing with Chinese that may or may not be spurious
6325 unid Pirate in German playing Dutch language version of beatles 1500ut

the Alinco has dual watch, very useful. oddly i noticed that the Sub RX had more gain on 2 metres than the main rx, it seemed not to be just a faulty S meter showing 2 extra s points but genuine usable gain

in light of Pascals Questions about the equipment needed to rx satcom i'm testing just how basic a set up will be adequate
the Russian Altai Phone System on 266.862 was audible on the Alinco with its normal scanner ant
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

Pascal Duval

Re: 48m barrel scrapings (Alinco Scanner test)

Post by Pascal Duval » 03 Jan 2016 12:07

Hello Tim,

I have just read your post and notice you have success receiving 266.862 with a simple scanner and antenna.
I have tried many occasions for this frequencies in high VHF but have not receive anything with a fairhaven RD500 and 10 element band 3 VHF antenna 170 - 240MHz. I think you mention one time the Fairhaven is not adapted for this type of reception so i am thinking a Winradio WR 3700 maybe is okay but i have not tested for now. The equipment Fairhaven and Winradio maybe are to professional for myself but i buy them cheap total 400 euros but i cannot understand how these equipment function best. They have possibilities for connexion to a computer but i need for reading more the manuals.

Happy New Year

Pascal

Tim Bucknall
Location: Congleton, often in the Peak District, sometimes in Poland or Kresy

Re: 48m barrel scrapings (Alinco Scanner test)

Post by Tim Bucknall » 06 Jan 2016 13:52

you may have mountains blocking the horizon
in which case, sorry theres no cure

the signals are coming it at quite a low angle - extreme long distance
when i'm driving round the peak district I often lose Satcom reception if there are too many mountains in the way
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

Return to “Tim Bucknall, Congleton”