Windy weekend

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
eastangliauk

Windy weekend

Post by eastangliauk »

there saying 50 to 70 mile winds Thursday or after.
hope my aerial does not blow down.
Radios Tecsun PL398MP + PL-660 & JVC KD-G632 - Blaupunkt BPR-3 DAB+ pure one flow

satnipper

Re: Windy weekend

Post by satnipper »

You're not a serious dxer unless you've put an antenna back up a few times...

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk »

Its bendy but been OK so that is good
I had a slim jim on there before it did blow over but the dipole is much lighter the slim now lives in the loft.
Attachments
31766710256_5b61223c49_o.jpg
Radios Tecsun PL398MP + PL-660 & JVC KD-G632 - Blaupunkt BPR-3 DAB+ pure one flow

PascalD
Location: l'hay les roses, Ile de France & Josselin, Bretagne

Post by PascalD »

How is it possible this pole is not bent down because I have seen videos this evening on the French television news showing airbus and boeing aircraft trying to land in UK airports & France but the Pilotes abort the landing at the last seconds because of the wind, i think very frightening for the passengers on board? Also why the Pilotes deserve good wages

Good DX fellow dxer's

Pascal

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk »

last few days have been insane hear.

Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Looks like it'll be windy all week.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

Some strong gusts here this morning in hail showers. April has come early!

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk »

Going be another windy weekend Funky FM 103.7 went down in the last wind storm and has yet to be restored.
hope it not effect more stations.

Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Fucky FM? Never heard of that one before! :lol:

Ah, you mean Funky. Well edited!

John Faulkner, Skegness

Back to the topic in question. It's been another calm and sunny day here. They have been promising coastal flooding ans wind gusts of up to 70 mph for Lincolnshire. The wind and rain was supposed to be starting late Friday, but they lowered to 60 mph gusts and delayed the onset of the high winds.

According to the BBC forecast from two days ago, I should now be experiencing the first wave of wet and windy weather. Nope! It's been calm all day ... until a few minutes ago. The winds have just increased and have become quite gusty, but with calm periods in between.

The online BBC video forecast has just increased the wind gusts forecast to 80 mph for this region. So, as always, we'll have to wait and see what happens when it happens, but I expect somebody will have it rough.

I'm not actually at home at the moment but staying in a location in South Lincolnshire, close to the Norfolk and Cambridgeshire borers.

The peak of the high winds is currently between 4-6pm Sunday for Lincolnshire. I hope that this storm passes through quickly and is not as severe as the forecast suggests. They are forecasting a sustained period of damaging winds lasting 36 hours.

Stay safe.

Nick Gilly

Post by Nick Gilly »

Already parked the 9.2 NE so the wind will be behind it. Fingers crossed this storm isn't too destructive!
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk »

Just heard Lesure FM 107.4 has gone down.

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk »

and now my aerial is bending over slightly hope it not go next door.

John Faulkner, Skegness

71 mph gusts reported in this area this morning. So far, two fences and one tree down (the tree came down as I was walking past it. I was less than 10 metres away. Talk about a close call.) A power cut at 9:15 did not interrupt my overnight recording, thankfully.

Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Apparently the wind here is peaking now before gradually decreasing through the day. Met Office website says 58mph gusts; BBC says 62.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Don't EVER believe the bbc in anything. :lol: Try https://www.ventusky.com/?p=52.19;-0.12;7&l=gust They always have it right because they are based on live as-it-happens readings, unlike predictions which can be miles out.

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk »

Clacton beach just now and its raining so was lucky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9B0hcPhuNQ

PascalD
Location: l'hay les roses, Ile de France & Josselin, Bretagne

Post by PascalD »

In the Ile de France we have now winds 130km/h i have not the concern for homebrew antenne i put down last night and instal indoors. I have concern for the 1.2m gregorian parabol because it vibrate violently non stop in the storm but not for now affect reception.

Good DX

Pascal

eastangliauk

Post by eastangliauk »

really bad now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3avNDV1naN4
get a leak in the roof to.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Difficult to 'feel' the full intensity from a video, but I hear the rain bashing against your window. It was quite vicious here for a time The hail/rainstorm which passed through a couple of hours ago was quite nasty. We had to secure a gate to a fence at one point and the wind was so powerful it was almost impossible to hold it in place while we tied some rope around it.

In the grand scheme of things, our storm was quite tame compared to those incredible hurricanes experienced in the Caribbean and south-east USA, but storm Ciara certainly packed a few good punches here today.

Return to “Off Channel”