Onboard FM reception with Oukitel K3 Phone

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
PascalD

Onboard FM reception with Oukitel K3 Phone

Post by PascalD » 03 Jun 2018 19:46

Hello, Maybe this should be in another topic about Mobile DX but yesterday i returned from Gran Canaria and recorded quite a few Spanish - Portugese - Moroccon FM Stations from inside (window seat) a Iberia Palmas - Madrid bound aircraft. The phone in use was a cheap Oukitel K3 which includes FM radio with rds and reception was achieved hooking up the headphone cable which acts also as the aerial from the window blind to the seat table which had a small hook. I did wonder if a longer headphone cable like 1m was used if it would improve reception more?
I would like if possible to post here the recordings and photo of the aerial setup but would they be allowed or perhaps maybe I start a new topic ?
I found the FM band in Gran Canaria quite saturated with local & semi local Stations also from the other Canary Islands.
In 3 weeks time i will be in Menorca and wonder if FM dx will be good but maybe using a better portable receiver.

Good DX

Pascal

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Onboard FM reception with Oukitel K3 Phone

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 03 Jun 2018 22:54

Absolutely! :)

One of the things people tend to do is to create an account at an online cloud storage site where audio can be streamed. box.com is probably the most popular. I also use mega.nz Some people use Soundcloud, but they have limited storage space for free account. Dropbox is another. You can then post the links to the files here. It's the same with images, but I wouldn't know which site to recommend there.

You certainly can post file attachments here, directly, if you prefer, but you'll get far more storage space on a cloud site.

By all means. Start a new thread if you like. Looking forward to seeing/hearing. :)

PascalD

Post by PascalD » 04 Jun 2018 23:35

Thankyou John and pe1etr for helping find a good free uploader for my recent FM inflight recordings from Las Palmas - Madrid 2 Juin 2018, in a Airbus A320-216, window seat 32A. I now send a link for Sound Cloud which i hope works and if you would like to listen the inflight recordings?
The Oukitel K3 i think is possibly a very good temporary FM dx radio for such occasions but i have not tested yet for Sporadic E but maybe i should try. The radio also shows RDS & PTY readout but the signal must be very strong for PTY.
I am now experimenting with a construction for a small descet square loop active antenne for travelling on Planes and i already find a FM tunable design using minmal parts & a BF961 for 9v.

Again thankyou and i hope the link below is work

I have just note that the Video showing the inflight headphone
aerial is not working :oops:

https://soundcloud.com/you/collection

PascalD

Post by PascalD » 06 Jun 2018 14:25

Hello John or Skywaves Admins, how can I delete the topic from this section as I started a new one on the same theme in the VHF Band 2, OIRT , DAB Section. All future inflight FM reception will be posted to there as will be flying to Minorque in 2 weeks time and will try receiving such FM with a homebuilt FM mini squarial and crudely built 9v BF961 FM tunable amplifier

Thankyou

Pascal

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 07 Jun 2018 21:38

Hi Pascal I will lock the topic and put a link to your other thread.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4558

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

Return to “Off Channel”