Voice to text language translation

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
daveB

Voice to text language translation

Post by daveB » 19 May 2018 23:37

Some languages are easy to identify - others aren't. Scandinavian languages, or Slavic languages for examples.

I've been playing with Google translate on Chrome. I can only get it to work by using a microphone held in front of the loudspeaker but it is surprisingly effective even on a noisy signal. You have to manually select the language and it will try to translate the wrong language for a sentence or two before stopping, but on the right language it gives good results at less a lower signal strength than gives RDS.

So playing back some recordings from 17th May confirmed they were indeed of Swedish origin.

Is anyone else using Google translate with speech input, or similar? I've also used Speechlogger, but it is more limited in the number of languages.

It doesn't do a 100% job of picking up the speech - but it looks to be able to be a good indicator of the language if you are not sure what it is.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Voice to text language translation

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 20 May 2018 01:02

I tried this a few months ago Dave. I didn't get it to do very much, but it did work on common European languages. I hope this system will get better over time.

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 20 May 2018 01:06

You can use the auto-detect language option with text, not sure about with speech.

Peter

daveB

Post by daveB » 20 May 2018 13:33

Auto detect is text only - when you click on Autodetect rather than the drop down arrow the microphone disappears. I've managed to get it to detect Hebrew and Arabic from a 2015 recording. It detected Turkish from a recording from 27 Jul 2017 which translated a phone number. And though it did not translate the station id as it faded out I managed to pin it down to Radio Seymen.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Return to “Off Channel”