What information do they see?

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
John Faulkner, Skegness

What information do they see?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 19 Apr 2018 19:57

I asked this question on another forum and got shot down in flames. So I'll ask here as I don't think that will happen (He hopes ;))

------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to create an account with an online sales platform on which I have been banned, through no fault of my own. I am happy to explain the detail, but it's probably irrelevant and I doubt anybody would really be interested in hearing my story.

Whatever I do, the company always know that it is me who is applying to create the new account. When I sign up, I have used a different name, a different bank account, a different address, etc. But they always know it's me in an instant.

My question is, what can they see on my computer which reveals my identity? Could it be a computer number, perhaps the serial number? Or could it be a number on the hard drive?

Hiding behind a proxy connection doesn't help either, unless they have blocked me on the basis that it is a proxy server. Perhaps they see that.

Thanks.

John.
(Risking getting shot down in flames again, perhaps.)

satnipper

Re: What information do they see?

Post by satnipper » 19 Apr 2018 22:35

When you say proxy connection do you mean a VPN?

I would imagine they are picking up your IP address. It may be possible that they are picking up the MAC address of the router.

Only way to know is to go to a public library, friends house (or MacDonalds etc) and try there.

Stuart

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 19 Apr 2018 22:37

I take it you have also deleted any cookies from this site?

zach_m

Post by zach_m » 19 Apr 2018 23:13

Stuart is right. Try using other ISP and a different email address. Bans are usually given on an IP address so that the user cannot log in again.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 20 Apr 2018 10:45

Yes. I am sure you are spot on there. Thanks for the info. I have the paid version of CyberGhost and it hasn't helped one bit. It doesn't present any problems logging in to other sites though, i.e. those which will alert me to a new IP logging in to my account. So that makes me wonder if my actual IP is visible.

From what I have just discovered, there is a plethora of information contained within the browser which gets transferred across, probably with the cookies. A brand new computer re-install may help, but I am not entirely sure about that either.

What I am trying to do may seem dishonest, but I can assure you it isn't. I do, however, understand that somebody with a poor history is hardly likely to be allowed back on the site. If only! It would sort out a lot of problems here.

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 20 Apr 2018 12:00

You must either delete all cookies or use a brand new browser - freshly downloaded (there are a lot of browsers out there).

A new browser with VPN should work unless they are reading MAC addresses - MAC address spoofing is possible but better done with Linux.

Stuart

pnoelw

Post by pnoelw » 20 Apr 2018 20:15

Perhaps you could try
- Downloading CCleaner and run both the programme/app cleaner and the registry cleaner. That will clear out all residual cookies, history, etc
- Then restart your computer - electronic restart. Don't use the physical button. In w8.1 - mouse to bottom right/settings/power/restart. That clears out all sorts of caches. I don't know what the equivalent may be in w10. It's always a good idea to do this from time to time. Using the physical power button enables the fast-start, so lots of stuff remains in memory and temp files.
- Maybe also reset Internet Explorer if that's what you're using.

But they may well be picking up your IP address as others have suggested.

Good luck! Noel.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 20 Apr 2018 22:15

Thanks Stuart and Noel.

I have actually tried a new browser, called UC Browser. But still no joy.

When I do my next Windows re-install (the time for which is just about nigh.) I will do all these things.

I use CCleaner too.

Return to “Off Channel”