How good is your loft insulation?

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
daveB

How good is your loft insulation?

Post by daveB » 03 Mar 2018 11:33

Or "spot the houses with inadequate loft insulation".

Looking out through my back window at the row of houses opposite - which have south facing roofs - gives a very good idea of who is wasting energy. Two are completely snow free, two still have some snow on them, and the one that is unoccupied has the most snow.

I don't know what mine looks like - I'm not going outside until it has all melted as I don't want to risk damaging the recent hernia repair. I do know I've got over 200 mm of the rock-wool in place.

This post was inspired by a story in the newspaper that police had spotted a cannabis factory in a row of houses because the roof was completely snow free :lol:

It is starting to thaw now and the forecast is for milder weather for the next few days - but still no tropo lifts predicted :cry:
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Jim (Bournemouth)

Re: How good is your loft insulation?

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) » 04 Mar 2018 16:00

My loft seems to be insulated ok. Went up there Thurs afternoon and it was bloody freezing. I did get a tiny bit of snow forcing their way between some of the roof tiles in the easterly gale though. Then it melted giving the impression of a water leak.

Will have to look into that.

That was a mad couple of days. I went to work in light snow thursday morning - I have a 40 mile commute from Bournemouth to Fareham area, but one look at the radar mid-morning Thursday and there was no way I was staying at work beyond lunchtime, so toom the afternoon as leave.

Sound call, as had I stayed till my normal finishing time of 4pm, it would have taken me many hours to get home, and I could have been one of those spending the night on the A31.
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+ and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers 8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical

zach_m

Post by zach_m » 05 Mar 2018 11:49

Hi Jim,

My commute to work is about 20 minutes by car, so not that bad. On last Friday I finished work 5 PM and I thought I'll be home around 5:30 PM. I was so wrong!!! There were some snow showers whilst at work but nothing really major. The main concern was the ice on the road from the previous day. It all started around 4 PM and a heavy snowfall began... I was still at work and didn't take it seriously since maps showed that big snowfall possibly can pass me by.

I finish work and I went outside. I was shocked! I haven't seen so much snow in Hatfield since 2010?? I mean, I came from Poland and I remember that every winter we had snow, but what happened in the last week here, was more than I expected. Whilst on the road, the nightmare began. Everyone was crawling 20 mph and getting out of St. Albans took me 25 minutes. That's horrendous! The main roads were covered by sleet and snow mixed with grit and debris. Ehh 20 minutes commute took me almost an hour to get home. I am glad this over! I hate the chilly wind. Bloody hell, -4C and it was bitterly cold!

My mum and my brother live in Poland and I talk to them yesterday. They sad, on Friday temperatures dropped to -18C overnight! In some rural areas -22C was noted. She told me that council put braziers on the bus stops so that people can warm up during the waiting time.

Grrr...The beast from East has gone now, but I don't remember anything like it, here in the UK.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 05 Mar 2018 13:21

Unfortunately, when it comes to snow in this country, we are something of a laughing stock. George Galloway put it succinctly in his programme last week. As a nation, we are "pathetic", in his words, and I fear he is correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2yk_fFLkw

Return to “Off Channel”