Auto screen capture to monitor DX conditions

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
daveB

Auto screen capture to monitor DX conditions

Post by daveB » 07 Oct 2017 14:24

I use DXmaps MUF ES to monitor conditions - but it doesn't help when I'm not at the computer and you can't go back and see what was happening earlier but I've just found a very easy to use screen capture program that I'm trying out.

You can find it here - https://sourceforge.net/projects/autoscreen/

In brief. You set the time interval for capturing the screenshots and then run a slideshow. e.g. capture every one every minute and playback one per second. If you are running more than one screen it captures them in separate panes. It is a very small exe file that has very little cpu overhead. Once downloaded I moved it to a new folder in the C:drive - as it stores all the screenshots in the folder it is in.

So when I'm out I would look to have my SDR on one screen and DXmaps on the other - and obviously I would have the SDR recording. The plan then being to play back the slide show and find the interesting times in order to pinpoint which of the recorded files to check for actual reception - if it is not obvious from a change in the SDR spectrum/waterfall that has also been captured. When you playback the slide show it's very easy to pause and make a note of the time the file was captured.

An in depth review of the program is here - https://www.online-tech-tips.com/free-s ... matically/ - it amazing what you can find when you google a question!

The more I think about it the more the possibilities there are for un-attended monitoring - for any propagation mode. Just capturing the SDR display every 30 secs - 1 minute whilst recording would show up any changes compared to non-DX conditions.

Now if only I'd thought about this back at the start of the Es season.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Return to “Off Channel”