suggestions - how to get many coax into the house?

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
pnoelw

suggestions - how to get many coax into the house?

Post by pnoelw » 17 Aug 2017 17:52

I have recently moved into a double storey house and wondered how best to bring the antenna leads into the house? what do most people do?

I was previously living in Johannesburg where I had half a dozen or more antennae on the gable ends using a couple of masts. I ran the cables under the eaves and down vertical trunking to a weather-proof cable box covering a 2" core-drilled and sleeved hole straight through to the radio shack. we didn't have to worry about heat efficiency there although I did block both ends with balls of cloth! This system allowed me to add or remove cables/antennae with relative ease.

Is there a neat way generally used in the UK? I don't have a gable end here as the roof slopes down to the eaves on all 3 sides of our semi (I'm sure there's a correct technical description for that type of roof!).

looking forward to your innovative suggestions! :)

Noel.

satnipper

Re: suggestions - how to get many coax into the house?

Post by satnipper » 17 Aug 2017 21:05

Drill a hole through brickwork and put a piece of washing machine outlet pipe through. Trim pipe to fit flush. Try and make hole slightly downwards to exterior so water doesn't run in. Job done.

John J Cahill

Post by John J Cahill » 18 Aug 2017 11:20

These covers are used for satellite cable to cover cable entry hole in wall and may be what you're looking for

http://www.screwfix.com/p/exterior-cove ... of-5/58284

JJ

pnoelw

Post by pnoelw » 18 Aug 2017 17:34

Thanks John and satnipper
I have seen the satellite cable cover and that's a definite maybe. Although it may be a bit small for a couple of RG58's plus an RG213...but maybe 2 1" holes might do the job. My real preference would have been to feed directly into the roof space by the eaves and then run down through the ceiling into the radio room. But it's difficult to get down to the eaves when I'm inside the roof - I'm not 18 and lithe anymore! More planning required.
Noel

John J Cahill

Post by John J Cahill » 18 Aug 2017 23:21

May be a set of cable rods might help

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/cable-rods

JJ

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 19 Aug 2017 15:58

I managed 4x7 mm coaxes through a 1" hole where I had my shack on ground floor but recently moved my shack next the chimney breast so re-routed the coaxes down our unused chimney cutting cable lengths by 5 M.

depending on your roof construction it should be possible to bring coaxes down roof into a hole in the soffit into the loft then down to your shack.
I have used a 18" drill bit with coaxes taped to the end and fed it through the hole making ti easy to grab when lying down in the loft to reach the soffit's I use the same going through walls.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

pnoelw

Post by pnoelw » 19 Aug 2017 17:47

Thanks for your suggestions Andrew and John. Plenty to chew on here and at the end of the day I must just get on and do it without too much more analysis (procrastination?)
Noel

Return to “Off Channel”