End of FM DX

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
PascalD

End of FM DX

Post by PascalD » 13 Jul 2017 21:19

With new European DAB & DAB+ tx's opening right left & centre i wonder how long it will be before the analogue fm becomes redundant and taken over by DAB ? Already a nordic Country has opted for fm cloture so with that who will follow ? DXFM will i sure become a lost hobby from a by gone era ?

Bon Weekend

Pascal

zach_m

Re: End of FM DX

Post by zach_m » 14 Jul 2017 13:00

I don't think it will be an end of FM. The rapport from the link below showing that consumers, in the UK, aren't satisfied with DAB, which offers lower quality broadcast.

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/doc ... egreen.pdf

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 15 Jul 2017 11:15

I despair when I think about the changes happening in the world of FM broadcasting.

Some of us had hoped that the UK would be one of the first to switch off its FM broadcasts so we could have an empty band for DXing the continent. Our governments seemed to show the same heavy handed approach the Norwegian governments have adopted, but there was a lot of opposition to the FM switch off here, so we're still up and running.

Since Norway have closed down their NRK outlets on FM, with the exception of a few transmitters in the north of the country, I have no tell-tale indicators of Norwegian tropo now. I will have to monitor the ham radio clusters to see if there is any activity in that direction. As far as I can tell, all the low powered Norwegian local stations are still operating on FM, so I will be keeping an ear out for them in the future. I hope the locals will remain. As I understand it, that is the plan. Local community radio may flourish on FM in some countries once the big broadcasters have left the band. BUT, what happens if some countries adopt other kinds of broadcasting on FM once they have cleared the band? That is a big worry.

Similar things are happening on MW. Stations are leaving for FM or closing down their big transmitters. Many Canadian stations have left the band for FM. Will the USA follow soon? It's all very bleak in some ways. There may be windows of opportunity for now, but the future may look very different.

I have been having this conversation with Andrew Webster a few times recently. Is FM and MW broadcast DX on its way out? What will we do once there isn't much left to DX on FM and MW? Potentially, the future of broadcast band DX is looking very bleak indeed. Will we need a new hobby?

Sylvestre

Post by Sylvestre » 15 Jul 2017 12:55

In France, DAB is not going to discard FM yet... DAB is only broadcasted in few big towns here, and so many french people even doesn't know that it exists...
DX-FM & DX-TV in Normandy, France : Portenseigne 910 03 02 & Wisi EB-66 on Yaesu G450C.
On my personal website :
my DX-FM pictures, my DX-FM audios, my DX-TV pictures, and my DX-TV videos.

Catherine

Post by Catherine » 15 Jul 2017 20:14

I think I read that Austria have scrapped DAB although I can't remember if this also means DAB+.

Anyone know if Germany have any plans for FM switchoff?

Return to “Off Channel”