Most cost effective way to get online?

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
John Faulkner, Skegness

Most cost effective way to get online?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 Mar 2017 17:40

I find myself in a difficult situation in my life again. I am in a new flat (which I hate) and I need to get online, cheaply, just for text. I don't need huge amounts of bandwidth.

I cancelled the EE contract before the cooling off period expired. I then started looking at using a laptop and a dongle. I only have a basic £9 PAYG 'phone' phone. It doesn't know what the internet is.

The owners of a nearby bar told me I could use their wi-fi but the signal doesn't quite reach.

Any suggestions please. I don't want to get tied into contracts, just in case I move again. In fact I fancy moving. A fresh start somewhere. Haven't a clue where.

eastangliauk

Re: Most cost effective way to get online?

Post by eastangliauk » 31 Mar 2017 12:46

is it worth asking any neighbours if have wifi offer a small fee maybe to use it?
they used to do this at my mates flat.
Radios Tecsun PL398MP + PL-600 & JVC KD-G632 - Blaupunkt BPR-3 DAB+ & Pure Evoke Flow

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 31 Mar 2017 18:15

I thought about that, but I don't think anybody has. The chap in the flat below me might have, but I'm sure he does everything on his mobile phone.

Thanks anyway. I'll look into it.

daveB

Post by daveB » 31 Mar 2017 21:31

Other than that it is a wi-fi or mi-fi dongle and a sim for whatever 3G or 4G network gives good reception where you are. 1 month contracts cost more proportionally. Just a quick look suggest £40-£50 for an unlocked mi-fi adapter and Giff-Gaff do 3Gb for up top 30/31 days. If you run out before then you buy another 'goody-bag' early - the next one up is £15 for 5 Gb. You also get a decent amount of voice minutes and texts. They run on the O2 network.

It is not 'cheap' but can be a lot cheaper than fixed broadband at £20 or so a month - I nver used mobile broadband - so the onfo is all off the internet.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 31 Mar 2017 21:33

I don't know what mobile coverage is like in your area, John, but you can get devices that you put a sim card into and thet give tou a wifi signal.

This is just an example (not a recommendation as I've never used one), there are lots about.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4471714

You would then need a data only sim, either PAYG, monthly contract or you can get some that give you, e.g 20GB to be used for up to a year for about £30.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 31 Mar 2017 22:12

Thank you Dave and Simon.

Dave ... It's all so pricey when compared to a home network. I was thinking today that a full contract mobile phone would be a better deal, but my credit rating says "NO!!!"

I would prefer 02. It's the only network which has a decent coverage around here.

Simon ... This sounds better, but the price is still more than I was hoping for. I guess that the initial outlay is for the device. Then the top-ups are bought based on need.

I think it's still a fairly expensive way of doing things, but I will save.

PascalD

Post by PascalD » 03 Apr 2017 09:54

John if you are able for installing a antenne maybe you could try using a made to measure wifi antenne for receiving the signal from your near local bar ? Such antennes are in use here because not everyone wants pay for Internet so have it for free vers open publique wifi hotspots up to 5km distant from the property.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/TP-LINK-TL-ANT24 ... SwfcVUJKf7

or

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Antenne-Reflecte ... SwkEVXGdho

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 03 Apr 2017 13:22

Very interesting Pascal. Thank you for this suggestion. I will look into this. I might just be able to borrow one for a while. My available funds are low at the moment.

daveB

Post by daveB » 03 Apr 2017 20:36

You need an external connection if you only have a laptop or wifi dongle - would this work as a first step? It seems a very good price. I used a TP-Link Wi-fi dongle successfully on my previous desktop - it only had an internal antenna.

https://www.alza.co.uk/tp-link-tl-wn722 ... 0wodq9wDSA

Stuck on the end of a 2m USB cable you might be able to position it as it is and get it working - check compatibilty with your OS it says nothing about Win 10. If you need more gain - this looks good - claims 1 - 3 miles normal operation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4Ghz-14dbi- ... 2443356680

Note that according what I've found on the web page this wif-fi adapter uses an SMA connector so the two should be compatible if they comply with the conventional protocol of a plug on the adapter and a reverse polarity socket on the aerial lead.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Return to “Off Channel”