Which Bluetooth/USB/Noise-Canncelling/Cordless Headhones?

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
John Faulkner, Skegness

Which Bluetooth/USB/Noise-Canncelling/Cordless Headhones?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 01 Mar 2017 17:37

Another headphone discussion? I was a bit reluctant to bring up another one when this has been covered recently, but maybe my questions are along slightly different lines.

I have been thinking about replacing my battered Sennheiser HD201 headphones, sticking to the the closed back variety, but have been debating to myself whether I should go for one of the following:

1. Bluetooth headphones.
2. Cordless headphones.
3. Noise cancelling headphones.

Somebody has just told me that bluetooth headphones are best avoided as they don't have much of a range. They were compared to infra-red headphones which as I know don't travel through walls or around corners. Is this correct? The reviews suggest they are better than that. Instead, I was advised to opt for USB headphones. I've never heard of USB headphones!

Bluetooth aside, maybe I should look for a combined 2 and 3. Are there any decent quality cordless and noise-cancelling headphones for around £100? I understand that the noise cancelling effect is variable between different models.

Or maybe I would be better off just forgetting noise-cancellation and stick to a simple pair of cordless headphones which have a well-constructed pair of of cans which restrict the levels of sound getting in and out.

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Re: Which Bluetooth/USB/Noise-Canncelling/Cordless Headhones?

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 02 Mar 2017 21:16

I use Welltech cordless headphones I got from Lidl 7 years ago cost £29.99 and they work great I can walk around here listening to DX :lol:

I also bought some cheap cordless headphones for £8 they are not good quality nuff said and they use 86 Mhz but doesn't affect band 2 but they can be connected to a source using a cable so I use them that way for listening to webstreams while DXing.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 02 Mar 2017 21:25

Thanks Andy.

PascalD

Post by PascalD » 03 Mar 2017 22:18

I use both unmarked bluetooth & a Bose QC25 headphones and have found the bluetooth is much better for hands free listening along with accepting mobile calling + distance upto 25m from the sourcse. The bose are okay but possibly overated on the reason the AAA 1.5v batteries only last around 10hrs or so but the bluetooth on single charge lasts over 25hrs.

The bose QC25 cost 170 euros new from a well known online auction site
Bluetooth unmarked headphones 29 euros from Madrid airport

NB: It is possible the bose QC25 i have are a cheap copy because i find it strange the autonomie is short life so i visit youtube where a video make comparison for true & fake bose QC25. I also forgot too say the bluetooth phones can also connect with cable headphone socket

NB: The unmarked bluetooth phones read BT 1256 when connected to the mobile

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 04 Mar 2017 00:06

Thank you very much Pascal.

It's not unusual to discover that the cheaper item is better than the more expensive 'branded' item. I have a pair of "Arkon" £30 cordless headphones I bought from a supermarket. They have been excellent with a good frequency response, but they are now breaking apart, just like my Sennheisers.

I like the Bose sound, but I think most people agree that Bose is overpriced.

After some consideration, I may just opt for cordless closed back headphones. My problem is not being able to try them before I buy them. It will be a gamble. The noise-cancelling option still appeals though.

More research is needed online.

Thank you again Pascal.

Return to “Off Channel”