Brexit :(

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
Catherine

Brexit :(

Post by Catherine » 24 Jun 2016 10:54

I'm a bit gutted at the leave decision. Slightly embarassed that our country has decided to make itself more isolated - I think it's the last thing we need! My first thought when I switched on the radio at 5.20 was "What have we done?". What are your thoughts?

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Brexit :(

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 24 Jun 2016 11:25

The word which comes to mind here is "concerned", but that would have been the same had we voted to stay in.

I don't vote as I have never taken an interest in politics until recently. Quite simply, I have never felt qualified to vote, plus I have never found any politician or political party I would want to vote for. "Shame on me" for not voting. Perhaps. But I feel slightly more inclined to want to vote after this Brexit result.

Firstly, our politicians have let themselves down very badly in the way they have behaved in their campaigning. If our overseas friends don't already know this, our politicians have been using scaremongering tactics and outright lies to scare us into voting. THAT is the embarrassing bit. Telling us that we are all racist if we vote LEAVE is completely wrong, not to mention untrue. It's all been quite childish.

Secondly, it is thought that the vote for LEAVE has been influenced by our lack of trust of our own political parties (mostly the conservatives) and LESS SO us actually wanting to leave the EU. In some ways, I would rather have the EU running some aspects of this country than our own corrupt politicians. But are the European politicians any more trustworthy? I don't know who to believe in politics, which is one reason I never vote. Party A says one thing, Party B says the opposite is true. How do I know who is telling the truth? Politicians don't do much more than just have a go at each other. Forget about hearing the the actual facts!

As I see it, the BREXIT (stupid word) campaigners simply want us to be in control of our own country. Nothing more, nothing less. Well, also to get rid of some of the restrictive and unfair rules and regulations the EU impose on us. Fishing quotas for example. The EU have decimated the industry.

Common sense tells me two things. 1. "better the devil you know". 2, Strength in numbers as a team and, hopefully, a willingness for us all to get along together nicely". So my immediate leaning was more towards REMAIN. Then I started to read a bit more into the detail of the EU thing. Some things did not seem to be fair at all. I started leaning towards LEAVE.

At the end of it all, I was back to being undecided, but possibly still favouring REMAIN, but really I could see good and bad in both LEAVE and REMAIN.

At the end of the proverbial day, I think all sides need to get their act together and the EU should stop being so dictatorial. "Fair's fair", to use another idiom, but people did not find everything completely fair. Quite the opposite. So the bottom line is that something needed to be done. My only fear is that this exit will cause a lot of trouble.

For whatever the above is worth, these are my personal views.

Catherine

Post by Catherine » 24 Jun 2016 12:47

Thanks John. I could understand the arguments for leaving but my gut instinct was telling me we would be more secure as part of the EU.

P.S. I had a feeling the result would be 52% leave/48% remain - should've put a bet on it!

Catherine

Post by Catherine » 14 Mar 2017 10:55

I'm not impressed with the lack of a guarantee for people from the EU to be allowed to stay here after Brexit. We are the ones who have chosen to leave - why should the rest of the EU give guarantees to British ex-pats before we do the same for their ex-pats? I have Polish neighbours who are homeowners and have a toddler who was born here - I hope they can stay!

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 14 Mar 2017 12:02

Theresa May offered to settle the ex-pat question before formal talks started. Mutti Merkel refused. Why should EU expats receive preferential treatment to Brit expats? No reason at all. If your neighbours are not a burden on the UK state then they'll stay. If they are a burden they should be asked to leave.

Stuart

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 14 Mar 2017 23:44

I extracted this interesting point of view from George Galloway's show on Talk Radio the other week. I think this three minute extract explains everything perfectly.

https://app.box.com/s/ajzkmwmilj9ev2cebpiufmdntbebn801

Whether you're a fan of Galloway or not, his political forecasts always seem to be bang on the mark. Even so, I was still very surprised to hear what he said as he echoes my thoughts on the matter exactly.

As a side note, I always consider myself to be *not* very interested in politics, but I do listen to LBC quite a lot and so I pick up quite a lot about current affairs, etc. and I definitely *do* find some of it very interesting, so perhaps I *am* more interested in politics than I might like to admit. James O'Brien stands out for me. He always seems to be a sensible and very fair presenter. But one or two of their presenters really annoy me and I switch straight off. Notably Cristo (he's gone now anyway) and Steve Allen.

If we actually get to a very hard and full Brexit (a 'soft' Brexit means we are not actually leaving as there will still be ties), I would be extremely surprised. Any divorce will be full of settlements, penalties and all manner of ties which will effectively mean that we never actually left at all. It is a huge con and we are being lied to all along the way. It is my belief that there is a plan. There has to be a plan. Our governments know exactly what they are doing.

Return to “Off Channel”