Fast fibre - possible interference

For everything "Off Topic"! Here you can discuss, rant, rave, in fact talk about anything non radio-related. Forum etiquette rules still apply.
daveB

Fast fibre - possible interference

Post by daveB » 16 Oct 2019 11:33

Fast fibre (FTTC) has become available at £25/month. I do not need it - but it would be jolly useful to get a better upload speed.

My concern is whether it will cause interference to my radio reception. I already see VDSL interfrence on shortwave - with the break points at 8 and 12 MHz clearly evident as a 5-10 dB jump in noise floor on the loop situated about 20 ft from the house - which won't totally null out. So someone(s) nearby has it already. The phone line comes in at the front of the house - passing clos by my South facing yagi - which already has QRN around 99 MHz +/- 1 MHz

"Guaranteed" speed if 36 Mb, but I notice in the small print that they can get away with a minimum of 15 Mb. My guess is that it will be nearer the low end of the range as the cabinet isn't 'just round the corner'.

Current ADSL speed is 6.1 Mb up and < 1.0 Mb down
Locatio: Sittingbourne, Kent JO01ji
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi 20ft agl - 120 deg. FM5 - 80 deg, FM5 -180 deg. OIRT dipole and 3-ele Moxon - 80 deg. Shielded magnetic loop 0.1-200 MHz

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Fast fibre - possible interference

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 16 Oct 2019 12:22

I don't know if this is anything like the 80 MB fibre speeds I had from Sky two years ago, but the box did not cause any interference at all, unless I stuck a portable receiver right next to the modem. It is actually the same modem I use now after I downgraded back to 18 MB ADSL - quite fast enough for everything I do. (Apart from upload speeds which are seriously lacking.)

A pity it's all contracts these days. No try before you buy. That would be useful in this case.

daveB

Post by daveB » 16 Oct 2019 12:47

Thanks for the comment John. I was agonising over whether to upgrade as the incomplete information I had suggested the cabinet was 2 km away, as the web-site page I was on was showing distance from exchange (which would have meant <10 Mb/s). I finally found out how to track down the actual FTTC cabinet location - which turns out to be just over the road - so I should get close to the advertised speed of 36 Mb/s and hopefully 3-4 Mb/s upload speed.

As to 'try before you buy' TalkTalk blurb states that if you aren't happy with it you can revert within (I think) 30 days. Total contract price is £33.50 all in which includes all 01, 02,03 calls and their Supersafe boost that covers up to 8 devices for anti-virus etc. (I have six devices). I always negotiate a new contract when up for renewal and haven't had many issues with them.

In the last 12 months we have had total loss of service a couple of times - but that's due to OpenReach problems. I had made a note of their faults number and when I called it on my mobile got an automated response which stated they had a general problem and would I like to divert calls to the mobile number automatically until the problem was sorted.

I also found it very straightforward to set my mobile as a wi-fi hotspot in case I really needed the internet.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi 20ft agl - 120 deg. FM5 - 80 deg, FM5 -180 deg. OIRT dipole and 3-ele Moxon - 80 deg. Shielded magnetic loop 0.1-200 MHz

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 16 Oct 2019 12:57

Not sure this is going to be of any use.

The positive: Lucky location of the box!

The negative: The company TalkTalk. I know of only one person who has used TalkTalk who was satisfied with it. I am sure there are many more but, unfortunately for me, I have an ongoing problem with them and it doesn't look like it's going away soon. The organisation helping me with this also has several other TalkTalk cases on his hands. They are a known liability. I can explain if you wish, but probably not relevant to this post. You may be lucky, but I couldn't not mention this. Their service was shoddy, extremely rude operators and they didn't provide the service they said and half the time the internet didn't work at all. Visiting engineers could not solver the problem. Since I am half way through my rant I will finish. They agreed that they fell considerably short of the minimum requirements and, under their own terms, they agreed to cancel the contract without further payment. Almost I started to receive payment demands almost immediately after this and I now have increased fees and court charges, which I am challenging, as I did back in 2017. The problem is they say they have no record of my complaints (I do!) and that I have gone past the time for complaints and do I have to pay them close to £500. I may have to pay this. So as far as I am concerned, TalkTalk are ShitShit and I wouldn't be doing anybody any favours by not bringing this up.

daveB

Post by daveB » 16 Oct 2019 23:04

I really think "it is the luck of the draw" with most firms nowadays. If you don't have cause to complain, the company will seem ok. If you do have to complain it can be a nightmare and most seem to adopt the 'automatic rejection first time round'.

I will make sure to document any issues - probably by using their chat service, capturing screen shots, and logging date/time. The first hurdle is for them to actually confirm that I really can have fibre (FTTC) broadband on my particular line. A while back it wasn't available presumably due to capacity issues. This time the call centre advisor checked and said it was available.

"Watch this space"

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 16 Oct 2019 23:27

You are absolutely right Dave. Good to log everything and take logins of operators. (They don't use names) Get complaint reference numbers and times of complaint. Make recordings of all phone calls. Crazy I know but in spite of all this they lost everything and refused to accept that any problems occurred so recordings would have been useful here.

I should have added that the TalkTalk modem did not cause me any QRN problems.

tvdxrools

Post by tvdxrools » 22 Oct 2019 08:43

easy solution , when i am rec b2 or mw , router is switched off as with everything i can in the house hell i would unplug the freezer but think wife would complain lol , David

daveB

Post by daveB » 22 Oct 2019 09:32

To deal with electrical interference I've got ferrite chokes clipped on everywhere- coax leads, usb leads, power leads.

RE: TalkTalk - some of the problem with the operators is that often English doesn't seem to be their mother tongue and they don't get the nuances of colloqiual UK English. So you have to repeat things very carefully. And an update: two days on from placing the order I spotted a limited time offer £22.45/24 months. Contacted them by the chat facility, which I had problems with (don't hit the back button on the tablet!)and ended up with the order cancelled, but a transcript promising me I could have the offer price. So I thn phoned up - spoke to the loyalty team and got the deal with no argument. Long-winded but it's what I expect.

BTW are there any 'highly rated' broadband providers?

daveB

Post by daveB » 01 Nov 2019 09:37

As a closing post for this thread - no interference on MW, FM, or amateur radio bands from my broadband. But there is the permanent 8- 12 dB hump between roughly 8 and 12 MHz. There are also intermittent hedgehog spikes up to 17 MHz which also pre-date my fibre connection.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 01 Nov 2019 09:45

Glad to hear the good news Dave. Your main bands of interest would appear to be protected. Quite a relief I'm sure.

Return to “Off Channel”