Interference Spikes

Noise and interference issues?
John Faulkner, Skegness

Interference Spikes

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 25 Sep 2014 12:02

Probably easy to fix, but I thought I would include it here for the record.

When I flip a light switch or mains socket switch, my Perseus SDR freezes, as does MESTOR when it's in record mode. Obviously the main spikes are causing interference. I never had this problem before until now.

What is the easiest way to stop this?

Jim (Bournemouth)

Re: Interference Spikes

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) » 25 Sep 2014 14:45

Plug the Perseus PSU into an anti surge extension lead that one can get from PC World and the like?
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+ and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers 8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 25 Sep 2014 19:28

Thanks Jim.

I actually wondered if something like this would be a good idea (I have one somewhere). I had expected the solution to be more likely a series of coils and ferrites.

Will give this a go.

Cheers

John

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 03 Oct 2014 16:50

I saw a six way surge protected plug board in ASDA £3.

Fridge/Freezers are also bad for that kind of spike.

Andy.
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 03 Oct 2014 16:52

Thanks Andy.

I will look out for one of those next time I am in Boston. No Asda in Skegness unfortunately.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 04 Oct 2014 11:58

I found a surge-protected multi-socket which supposedly conforms to BS1363A. I say "supposedly" because there is no brand name on it. Hmm. Dodgy? I think it might be.

The problem persists. I tried plugging the Perseus into the multi-socket on its own and also plugging the worst offending 'spiker' - my G-550 rotator control box, which is almost right next to where the Perseus sits.

I moved the Perseus further away, still plugged into the anti-surge multisocket, but found that the necessary USB extension cable rendered Perseus unusable.

Fitting some ferrite tunnels over a few mains cables has no effect.

Anyway, it's a no joy situation here. Perhaps I will still order something off the net. Unless anybody else has any suggestions?

mediterraneandxer

Post by mediterraneandxer » 07 Oct 2014 16:30

Have you contacted the manufacturer? This doesn't sound like it should be happening but if the unit itself isn't faulty then perhaps the design is.

Anyway, I suggest an on-line mode UPS as mentioned earlier. A bit of overkill for this specific problem but will save many times it's own value in equipment plugged into it. And will also allow you many hours of operation when the mains are out.
ICOM R75, R8500 | Lowe HF~225
Wellbrook ALA1530 | LF Engineering VLF, MW, Skymatch

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 07 Oct 2014 18:09

Thanks John.

Hmm. I think it is a bit 'overkill' myself too now I've seen the price. :shock: It's odd how this was never a problem in the past. Something has changed, but I don't think contacting the manufacturer will help. I ought to post to the Perseus SDR Yahoo Group and see if anybody else has had this problem.

Günter Lorenz
Site Admin

Post by Günter Lorenz » 07 Oct 2014 18:16

John, you are assuming that the spikes come via the Perseus PSU? What if they come on the USB line from the PC?
You could feed Perseus 5V from a battery pack, for a quick test.

Günter

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 07 Oct 2014 20:56

That's certainly a possibility Günter.

Once I have finished recording medium wave this evening I will see if I have any USB cables with chokes on them. I swapped the cables a couple of days ago and re-sited the Perseus as far away as I could from other electrical equipment, but to no avail.

I still haven't posted to the Perseus group to see if anybody else has had the same problem. I will do that straight away.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 14 Oct 2014 18:54

I wrote to the Perseus SDR Yahoo group and it seemed other members also have this problem. I tried all kinds of tests, swapping cables, using chokes, etc.

One member suggested I tried running Perseus on another machine, so I hooked it up to my laptop. Amazingly, there isn't a single problem with that. No matter how many electrical switches I throw, the signal meter on Perseus will even show "ADC Clip", indicating a strong electrical spike, but the software never crashes.

Can anybody tell me why I get this problem on one computer but not the other?

Jim (Bournemouth)

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) » 14 Oct 2014 20:55

Maybe worth getting another USB board and putting it in the machine if you have a spare slot on the motherboard?
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+ and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers 8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 14 Oct 2014 20:59

Thanks Jim.

Now you mention this, I am using a different USB socket. One I didn't use at the previous QTH where I didn't any of these problems.

I am recording at the moment, but when this is over I will re-install the software to the original port.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 14 Oct 2014 23:47

Jim, you have saved the day! I used a different USB socket - the same one I used at my previous QTH and no amount of switching anything near the Perseus crashes the software.

Since re-activating my Perseus for the season I have been using one of the sockets on the front of my desktop computer.

Tim Bucknall
Location: Congleton, often in the Peak District, sometimes in Poland or Kresy

Post by Tim Bucknall » 17 Aug 2015 10:46

i noticed interference spikes, from lights, fans etc light up an alert on my RDR54D1 screen
but luckily it doesn't freeze or crash
glad you solved the prob
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

Return to “EMC (Interference) Issues”