My DX days over...... for now

Noise and interference issues?
simbeav

My DX days over...... for now

Post by simbeav » 10 Oct 2016 11:59

The reason I won't be reporting any good DX on Medium Wave for the foreseeable future.

Seems to be 24 x 7 and coming from a not friendly neighbour's house. This is with the loop carefully positioned to null the QRM as best it can !

It's like this for the whole of Medium Wave, continuing way into the short wave bands almost joining up with the presumed PLT qrm that covers much of the upper short waves and seems to continue up to 50mhz , band 2 and beyond.

I can only hope the devices blow up (without damaging my house too much of course).

Simon
Attachments
Perseus.PNG

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: My DX days over...... for now

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 10 Oct 2016 12:42

That's terrible Simon. Really sorry to read this.

I'm not sure, but isn't it possible to report these now and have them changed? If it's one of the older BT devices, or any other 'imported' device which emits noise, you may be able to report it and force the company to replace it. Hopefully somebody will reply with more info. You could also enquire on the UKQRM Yahoo Group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ukqrm/info

Does the noise interfere with BBC transmitters designed to cover your area? If so then you will have a good case. If it's just background noise then it may be a problem.

I had the same problem last year and I reported on it in my blog http://skegnessdx.blogspot.co.uk/2015/1 ... e-due.html It was S9+40dB across the band when at its worst and I lost about six weeks of DXing time. Then it mysteriously stopped. Hopefully this will be the case for you and as soon as possible.

We recently discovered our new neighbours (moved in a house across the road earlier this year) are also unfriendly, thought hey will talk to you, and we found out that they have already reported us for having a noisy rotator. It's been investigated and passed as 'quiet'. I have noise across MW too and coming from their direction. It's been present since they moved in, but I don't know if it's them. They have caused problems to the other neighbours too. Our nearest neighbour, a very pleasant 60 something year old lady has been reported for running a house of ill repute! It's pitiful to say the least, but that's (some) neighbours for you.

I know the folks at the UKQRM group will strongly urge you to report the matter. Hopefully there is something which can be done. Please keep us posted.

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 10 Oct 2016 21:19

Unfortunately all the locals come in fine.

For some reason, I was under the impression that they would only investigate if within target area FM or DAB stations were affected.

I know I should try something, but at the moment I really can't face entering a kafkaesque world of OFCOM telling me I have to go to the BBC and the BBC giving a standard, "Put your radio by the window" reply.

I have had noise come and go before, but this seems different. I've heard bad stories about the new Sky settop box having PLT which is on permanently, even if you are using Wi-Fi or CAT 5 !

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 11 Oct 2016 11:13

If you are a radio amateur and have that QRM on top band (or other amateur bands) you can complain directly to Ofcom and also involve the RSGB experts.

If you are not a radio amateur then you should be :-)

daveB

Post by daveB » 11 Oct 2016 14:24

I'm still trying to track down the source of 30dB QRM on the FM band when the sun goes down. I'm more convinced than ever that it is solar powered garden lights as when the day has been cloudy/dull the interference either doesn't appear or it fades away after a couple of hours. I thought I'd found the source when one evening - with no interference - a certain neighbour's fairy lights were off - but the more normal solar lights were on. No such luck - next night the interference was back and the fairy lights weren't on! (Evil thoughts of a small drone equipped with a wireless camera and a paintball gun hunting out and splatting solar panels one by one until the interference stops.....).

Fortunately it is directional so only some DX is affected - just happens to be the most productive direction for DX.

I was just extremely 'lucky' that the big tropo opening on 28th/29th of September was associated here with dull/overcast weather and the interference was absence otherwise the Czech station would have been 20 dB below the interference.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Tim Bucknall
Location: Congleton, often in the Peak District, sometimes in Poland or Kresy

Post by Tim Bucknall » 13 Oct 2016 11:38

sorry to hear this simon, you did well to hold out til now, I lost the battle years ago

ps:my experience of Ofcom was awful but it depends who the local inspector is
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » 13 Oct 2016 20:31

Ofcom, now that's a joke isn't it !

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 13 Oct 2016 20:50

They were useless when I had a problem. They made a few visits and did very little. They took a few readings up and down the street, found nothing, and told me they couldn't do anything, despite seeing the noise and measuring it on their equipment which had my antenna plugged into it.

I might be joining Simon soon as my noise levels here are slowly rising. Several TA channels were blocked this morning around 6am by a 50 Hz growl. That's a new one to me and goes nicely with a somewhat weaker 50 Hz growl I usually get around 1400 - 1440, plus 1270 and other channels. I am wondering if it's the street light which is smack outside our bungalow. I've had that kind of mess before from a street light. It's been very wet here for the last few days so maybe that's got something to do with it.

I do hope Simon's noise disappears. If it's a PLT device he should be able to do something about it as I'm sure there is a legal obligation to have those changed now if they cause interference.

tvdxrools

Post by tvdxrools » 14 Oct 2016 08:28

ofcom HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH what a brilliant joke , these are the people that said a s9 ++ bzzzzzzz was acceptable noise level on all the ham bands at a mate of mine and they failed to notice/hear a b2 pirate in the same street ,personally i think they take backhanders to keep their mouths shut when plt devices are involved

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 19 Oct 2016 10:27

"these are the people that said a s9 ++ bzzzzzzz was acceptable noise level " I was hoping the person I got was a one off
but it seems not.
my guy claimed he couldn't even hear the problem! "that just sounds like normal background noise"
he said "i think its cos your rx (icom 9500) is trying to hard to receive a signal that's not there"
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 19 Oct 2016 10:29

think they've basically abandoned 0-30mhz and if you say radio 5 is destroyed they'll tell you to get DAB

inspector who came here was so fat he turned red trying to get up the stairs and when he'd up stairs we have serious concerns that he'd die on us!

then he gets out this rhode & Schwartz connects it up to my antenna and it totally overloads!
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 24 Feb 2017 08:59

Simbeav, got a spare grand and a tolerance for slightly digital sounding audio?

http://www.reuter-elektronik.de/

its not a miracle worker but it rejects whatever of the qrm sources are still on after midnight here
its something to do with the fact that the signal is digitally reassembled from a spectral analysis, ie the rf is turned into a graph then the graph is turned into recovered audio

example from last winter using Welbrooke ala1530 outdoor loop
the icom R9500 was rxing s9 of white noise on 1470khz, but the rdr produced the latin pile up typical of that freq
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 24 Feb 2017 09:05

Tim Bucknall wrote:
24 Feb 2017 08:59
Simbeav, got a spare grand and a tolerance for slightly digital sounding audio?

http://www.reuter-elektronik.de/

its not a miracle worker but it rejects whatever of the qrm sources are still on after midnight here
its something to do with the fact that the signal is digitally reassembled from a spectral analysis, ie the rf is turned into a graph then the graph is turned into recovered audio

example from last winter using Welbrooke ala1530 outdoor loop
the icom R9500 was rxing s9 of white noise on 1470khz, but the rdr produced the latin pile up typical of that freq
For those who don't speak German...

http://www.reuter-elektronik.com/

Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 » 09 Mar 2017 12:12

The same happened here about 2 months ago. Non-stop local interference 24/7, covering from VLF to about 1 MHz.
NDB and MW DX are over :-(

Maybe chokes could help ? Does anyone know what are where to buy something that could be efficient on these frequencies ?
I'm using an ELAD S2 SDR + Wellbrook ALA100-M loop but usually running a PA0RDT Mini-Whip (provides better S/N at my location, 3rd floor of a building).
Patrick
Main interests : NDB, MW & FM DX'ing
REU Editor http://www.classaxe.com/dx/ndb/reu

Return to “EMC (Interference) Issues”