That dreaded day has come.

Noise and interference issues?
Paul_Logan

That dreaded day has come.

Post by Paul_Logan » 21 Jun 2019 18:09

Well, that day has come.

After years of minor interference to the FM band I now have a serious problem going on every day now.

This is a really strange one, so if anyone has any ideas feel free to add some insight.

I have something transmitting garbled Chinese audio all over the FM band every morning and early afternoon. It sounds like a whooshing sound accompanied by Chinese TV or radio sound. It appears every 900 khz and is strong enough to block dx signals.

I can see the interference present from about 80 mhz up into the bottom of the airband above FM.

Here's what it sounds like:https://app.box.com/s/p5e4m72dw7jlsvvxqf4o8pgen6uj3g70

I rang the Belfast office of OFCOM and they were very helpful and seemed keen to sort it out ( fairly sure the guy I spoke to is a ham) but they then told me that all interference reports are now dealt with centrally so I was given an email address at OFCOM and dropped them an email.

Within an hour I got a phone call and was told since the interference was to the FM band I had to now make a complaint to the BBC.

WHAT THE FUCK.

I have no faith whatsoever in going down this route.

Anyway I was given a number at the BBC to ring! They apparently will decide if there is a case to answer and then get OFCOM to do something.

Hey OFCOM heres a mad idea, why not just listen to my recording, look at my screenshots and give the nice people in Belfast a jingle and tell them to take a trip down to leafy Fermanagh for a nice day out.

And the helpful chap on the phone with a Birmingham accent told me that "Since you dont have a licence to receive the Airband you shouldn't be listening to it"

Fucking hell.

Belfast told me to make sure to mention that the interference extended into the Airband, that this would be taken more seriously.

So, I've been out and about with an FM portable and my first thoughts are that the source is close, in one of two houses across the road - but, uh, there are no Chinese people living there.

Very odd.

Anyone got any idea what could be doing this and how I should proceed?

is there any way of getting a better response out of OFCOM?

How do I get Belfast to act on their own?
Paul Logan
Lisnaskea, Fermanagh, N. Ireland IO64GG

FMDX: Elad FDM-S2 with 5 el Yagi by K6STI, Andy Bolin Phaser.
MW / SW: Perseus / Elad FDM-S2 with Inverted L wire / Wellbrook Loop.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: That dreaded day has come.

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 22 Jun 2019 08:52

Ouch! Sorry to hear about to his Paul.

The next question would be "Does the interference hamper regular reception of BBC stations? I'm sure you know the score there. If not then OFCOM will do nothing. I had this problem, although the BBC was totally wiped out on MW once and badly messed up on band 2 on rarer occasions.

I am surprised by the attitude of the Birmingham accented man.

The fact that the airband is getting some of this has surely GOT to produce a result. I really hope so.

Does anybody know what the score is on hams making complaints these days when their bands are messed up?

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan » 22 Jun 2019 10:40

Thanks John.

" We may agree to investigate interference to hobby radio where there are exceptional circumstances and where we are satisfied that the interference is ‘harmful’, outside your control and all reasonable steps have been taken to minimise the effect. In addition, we may send out a spectrum engineering officer. However, you may be liable for the cost of the investigation if Ofcom considers that a source of interference is within your control.

Ofcom will exercise discretion on whether to investigate a report of interference. The regulatory regime does not guarantee that interference will not arise or that enforcement action will be taken to prevent it occurring"

Look at that last line LOL So what exactly is the point of regulation or a regulatory body if no actual attempt is made to seriously protect the spectrum?

Saturday morning and the garbage isnt there at the moment. A nice huge opening now would be nice, give me lots of files to go through when the crud returns.
Paul Logan

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 22 Jun 2019 10:42

Legal bollocks designed to cover themselves for all eventualities. They don't care anymore.

bristolpirates

Post by bristolpirates » 22 Jun 2019 19:48

Have you investigated how far away you can hear the interference in all directions? My guess would be that it seems strong around those two houses but it's possibly further away, if there are no Chinese people in the street.

On a Tecsun radio, you'd need to see close to 70 dB on the meter to be sure you were in the right area.

One other thing that could cause problems trying to locate it is the design of the aerial they are using. Some aerials will produce weak signals near the source but huge ones a little bit further away.

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan » 23 Jun 2019 17:37

I've been up and down the street and also in a car park behind those houses with a Tecsun in hand. Nothing in the car park behind but loud round the front of the houses. I've pretty much narrowed it down to one house. Had a conversation with the BBC reporting system and got through to someone in Belfast who took plenty of details so I'm waiting to hear back from them. I think they make a decision and then get Ofcom on the job.

Interference was there again today but not as bad as previous.

Trying to not get really upset about it and also holding off knocking the offending home's door. Think I'd rather leave it until I find out if there is going to be any action taken by BBC / Ofcom.

Interference starts around 9 am and seems to knock off about 2pm. But when those folks go out in their car, the interference disappears.

Odd that it doesnt go on in the evenings if its coming from a TV or satellite distribution setup.

The sound also changes, several times it has been Chinese audio, other timesa hum and other times like a whooshing data sound. Very odd.

There is a pole on the property with some kind of BT box on the top of it..... I wonder has that got anything to do with it?

Anyway, I'll just have to see what happens next.
Paul Logan

Paul_Logan

Post by Paul_Logan » 26 Jun 2019 19:27

BBC now saying that I should contact OFCOM - who told me the BBC are the ones who give THEM their orders.

F*** me.
Paul Logan

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 26 Jun 2019 21:48

:evil: That just takes the biscuit.

Return to “EMC (Interference) Issues”