Mobile Phone Dx

Propagation questions, answers and general information
Tim Bucknall

Re: Mobile Phone Dx

Post by Tim Bucknall » 13 Dec 2015 15:02

heres the limiting factor to extreme fringe phone reception http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_advance

it may explain why I can never call or text through irish networks in north wales even my phone is locked onto them
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 13 Dec 2015 15:17

I wonder if this explains why we didn't have a mobile phone service while we were on the Isle of Skye. Perhaps there were no local masts. But then, even in the central square in Portree, there was no phone signal. A shop owner even told us that you could occasionally get a mobile signal if you stood in the right corner of the main square, but not anywhere else in the town.

Sniffingmoose

Post by Sniffingmoose » 01 Jun 2018 19:18

Just been on holiday in North Wales and did a walk up the valley from the coast up to Aber Falls. Aber falls is a waterfall located about two miles south of the village of Abergwyngregyn, Gwynedd, Wales. Bangor is the nearest town. The end of the valley opens up to the Irish sea. We got no mobile phone reception when walking up the valley but as we climbed in hight our phones got a text message saying welcome to the Isle of Man! I guess it must be a long sea path 60 miles may be so I was really surprised getting the text. Also I guess the valley sides shield the phone from accessing UK networks. Also Manx radio was booming in 89.0 from Snaefell on my pocket radio.
Chris T
Burton on Trent
On a hill facing south west. Height 340 feet ASL
52.7992°N 1.612°W

Antference 4 Element Horizontal Beaming West high up up on the Chimney
Maplin DAB 4 element Beaming South West
Folded Dipole Vertical in the loft.

Return to “Propagation”