Lyrids Meteor Shower - or not

Propagation questions, answers and general information
daveB

Lyrids Meteor Shower - or not

Post by daveB » 25 Apr 2018 13:14

This is supposed to be a Class 1 meteor shower - 20 meteors per hour - peaking in the 3rd week of April. As is usual I set up recording for a couple of nights before the peak and the night after.

I might as well not have bothered Of the very few that registered none were anywhere near strong enough for RDS. I managed to get a program id from "Radio Freqvenze" on 94.1 and a random ping on 87.7 from Radio Jedynka.

This low level of reception mirrors 2016 and 2015. I suppose I'll repeat the exercise next year, just in case we get unusual activity. But for anyone who forgot about this shower - you didn't miss much!

The next 'major' meteor shower is the Eta Aquariids - which haven't produce much for me in the last three years.

The Delta Aquariids are July 27-28 this year and have produced consistent results, followed by the Perseids peaking on August 12 which were disappointing last year, but good in previous years.

More details here: http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essential ... ower-guide

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Lyrids Meteor Shower - or not

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 28 Apr 2018 09:10

Is every radio thing going downhill these days? Maybe it's all the cutbacks. I have tried DXing all the major meteor showers of the second half of last year. They were all poor.

On a slightly different subject, aircraft scatter is well down too, but I can put some of that down to an increase in local noise levels. Must be something in the atmosphere which is acting as a block. Aircraft scatter shouldn't be hindered. What is there to hinder it? Yet it is so variable.

Nick Gilly

Re: Lyrids Meteor Shower - or not

Post by Nick Gilly » 28 Apr 2018 10:02

I haven't been trying this meteor shower to be honest but the Perseids last August were excellent for me with RDS peaks from the likes of PR 1 on 87.7. Did some find this shower poor?
Good DX.

Nick, Whitchurch, Hampshire.

BW Broadcast RBRX Encore, Kenwood L-1000T, Yamaha T-2, Denon TU-800L, Kenwood KT-1100SD (modified), Yamaha T-85, Sony XDR-F1HD tuners, horizontal Körner 9.2 beam (Antennenland version), Yaesu G-450C rotator

Return to “Propagation”