A Perfect Sporadic E 'Fan'!

Propagation questions, answers and general information
John Faulkner, Skegness

A Perfect Sporadic E 'Fan'!

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 Sep 2017 12:43

A Perfect Es Fan.jpg

Catching up with some of this season's sporadic E files, it's always interesting to watch the loggings grow on the map. Take a look at this one. It's a perfect example of how the Es cloud refracts the signals, showing its actual 'shape'. Note how the fan provides an almost perfectly symmetrical shape over Finland, Sweden and Estonia/Saint Petersburg - generated during the Finnish part of the opening. This fan can often be a useful aid in determining or confirming the transmitter sites.

You can see the path to Moscow. This was received one to two hours prior to the Finnish opening and so is irrelevant to the rest of the paths, but you could imagine a mirror image of this extending a path into Northern Norway or Northern Sweden. Perhaps that opening was in fact there, only much of that could have gone out into the North Sea.

PFM907

Re: A Perfect Sporadic E 'Fan'!

Post by PFM907 » 18 Feb 2018 13:24

yes I have seen sth. like this before and I might need this to "direct" my future logs each day I see activity. During ES, you cannot predict or you never know which stations gonna come through next, but there is a slight chance to predict the direction / country or area. If you hear stations from Sardegna and Sicilia, it is always useful to keep an eye on 88.7 / 89.7 / 91.7 / 92.7 / 93.7 from Malta. Be attentive, and then you will succeed. The same as there are stations from the Italian East coast (Martina Franca, Bari, Brindisi, Lecche, Otranto, Monopoli, Barletta) or from Greece (esp. Korfu), then look out for Albanians and Montenegro. If Foggia or Pescare works out with RDS, Split - Zadar - croatian islands could be next on your radio. This is very nice to at least put the loggings in the right direction. No need in listening to Italy for hours if there are signs that the clouds will change towards a much more interesting direction, then just keep some devices running on 90.6 / 95.0 / 99.5 ... I have had a lot of interesting catches lust summer by doing so. Leave them "E-Skip Big Five" (France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey) and concentrate on frequencies that are used in neighbouring countries. Always operate a listing of your "requests" or stations you wish to log. Stay focused and do not hesitate to tune farther if you don't feel there is any ID coming after 3 minutes of advertising. Don't wait too long, or the interesting px. coming in at the same time on another QRG which you are actually not monitoring now, might be gone. I received Estonia only because I recognized Saint-Peterburg or Finland and kept looking for them. If there are multi-tx channels (102.5 FM with RTL 102.5 or 98-99 FM with BBC Radio 1), reject them and watch out for "exotic" frequencies or smaller ones, local stations from the same area. That might prove the site. Even more important: Don't miss the turning point! If you had Italy for an hour and suddenly Greece is present, you are too late for Albania.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paradisefm - Malta's N° 1 in dance and electronic
qths: Sliema MLT / Bavaria / Nth GER / Keitum-Sylt

useful: mwlist.org / intervalsignals.net / asiawaves.net / fmlist.org

daveB

Re: A Perfect Sporadic E 'Fan'!

Post by daveB » 21 Feb 2018 18:03

Another answer to catching all the DX (impossible btw!) is multiple aerials feeding different receivers. Then use a combination of scanning/logging, recording/logging - and be prepared to be trawling though recorded files well into the following year.

I've posted about my set up before - but to revisit the subject. I have aerials facing south, east, and north-west. I have a rotable aerial which is most often parked to the south-east. From late April to early October I have 24/7 scanning using RTL820 dongles for the East and South facing aerials. This runs on a totally separate computer. Reception conditions here are such that I get very good results on SpE. With both an SDRPlay and an Airspy mini on the main computer I can record two wideband streams - depending on what is happening I could be recording low band and high band at once, or recording 4 minute files in two different directions - and while recording I can live check within the bandwidth. I can also use another RTL dongle to scan/log.
I have to admit that the back of the workdesk looks like an explosion in a spaghetti factory. And I almost forgot to mention the analogue receivers - which can be used at the same time!
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Return to “Propagation”