Tropo 18/12/19

Interesting conditions? Post DX alerts here. Please use this forum for FM, TV & OIRT DX alerts ONLY!
Mad Radio DXer

Tropo 18/12/19

Post by Mad Radio DXer »

France received, fair signal & fluttering. France Culture joining strike again with non-stop music & automated announcement apologising for break in programmes.

Mad Radio DXer

Re: Tropo 18/12/19

Post by Mad Radio DXer »

Tropo still going but weak. Could hear a French station on 87.9 which is rare at my QTH but has been heard in the past. Sounded like one of the national stations, so maybe France Inter rated @ 10 kW on FM List from Parthenay/les Chateliers.

Btw, earlier on when France Culture were joining the strike with non-stop music, they played Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'" at the top of the hour which I do not think is a coincidence.

Just found this on France Culture's website related to a programme they had on air this evening, translated with Google...

https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search

"Since November 25, a strike movement has affected all of Radio France. If the entire public audiovisual service is affected by the reforms, we will try this evening to understand those concerning public radio. Is the future of Radio France really in danger?

We will try to explain to you why our antennas are disturbed with this conflict which lasts since November 25 by giving you the context in which it started and by explaining to you how they register in the current changes of the audio-visual in La France.

We will do this with four media analysts because it is nothing more difficult than talking about yourself like another."

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

Conditions are a still up here despite Hepburn indicating nothing. Plenty from the Netherlands and Belgium in. I'm receiving a faint Heart FM on 102.2. I don't think it's intermod or splatter from my local 102.4 transmitter so I'm guessing there is an enhancement from the west as I can only find one transmitter (Naish Hill) that transmits Heart on that frequency.
XHDATA D 808 (Shortwave)
Sangean DPR 69 (DAB)
Sangean PR D4W (Medium Wave)
Sangean PR D19 (FM)

Mad Radio DXer

Post by Mad Radio DXer »

You are doing much better than me. Here there is tropo but very weak, only France Culture on 94.0. Btw I received that in the car because I am not getting any radio or TV signals at home due to a communal fault with the antennas. I have mentioned this in the Discord channel.

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

I don't think I'm doing as well as I thought. I had Studio Brussel in but I assume the Heart I had on 102.2 must have been from 102.4 or intermod as there was nothing else coming through from the west and Naish Hill is further away than I initially thought. It all seems to have dropped off now.
XHDATA D 808 (Shortwave)
Sangean DPR 69 (DAB)
Sangean PR D19 (FM)

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Alex Lawler wrote:
19 Dec 2019 16:18
I don't think I'm doing as well as I thought. I had Studio Brussel in but I assume the Heart I had on 102.2 must have been from 102.4 or intermod as there was nothing else coming through from the west and Naish Hill is further away than I initially thought. It all seems to have dropped off now.
Hello Alex,
Which of the radios that you list gave an image of Heart on 102.2? Was it the D4W?

Peter

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

It was the D19. My local Heart is 102.4 and splatters down to 102.3. However in one room in my house where Linc's FM is weak Heart occasionally comes in which I assume is splatter as I can't find any transmitters near me on 102.2.

The D4W arrived yesterday. It's excellent on MW so I will keep it but despite equal or occasionally slightly better selectivity on FM using the 40KHZ filter it's overall very disappointing. It seems to have a high noise floor making the signal indicator register on clear frequencies. The D19 can hear weak signals the bigger D4W can't hear. Maybe it's because of the internal noise volume on FM.
Anyway it's poor sensitivity has really made the D19 shine.
XHDATA D 808 (Shortwave)
Sangean DPR 69 (DAB)
Sangean PR D19 (FM)

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Alex Lawler wrote:
22 Dec 2019 07:37
It was the D19. My local Heart is 102.4 and splatters down to 102.3. However in one room in my house where Linc's FM is weak Heart occasionally comes in which I assume is splatter as I can't find any transmitters near me on 102.2.

The D4W arrived yesterday. It's excellent on MW so I will keep it but despite equal or occasionally slightly better selectivity on FM using the 40KHZ filter it's overall very disappointing. It seems to have a high noise floor making the signal indicator register on clear frequencies. The D19 can hear weak signals the bigger D4W can't hear. Maybe it's because of the internal noise volume on FM.
Anyway it's poor sensitivity has really made the D19 shine.
Thanks for the reply. What about the DPR-69, does that get Heart splatter?

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

I'll check when I get home later although that radio is only used for DAB DX. I know it's sensitivity on FM is not as good as the XHDATA 808 despite a you tube video showing the complete opposite of my experience.
XHDATA D 808 (Shortwave)
Sangean DPR 69 (DAB)
Sangean PR D19 (FM)

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Alex Lawler wrote:
22 Dec 2019 10:18
I'll check when I get home later although that radio is only used for DAB DX. I know it's sensitivity on FM is not as good as the XHDATA 808 despite a you tube video showing the complete opposite of my experience.
I have no direct experience of the Sangean DPR-6x DAB radios but they do seem to have very good FM selectivity.
I'd rate the XHDATA D-808 the least capable FM performer of the four DSP radios I have bought this year. (Tecsun PL-398MP, XHDATA D-808, Eton Elite Traveler and Tecsun PL-360)

[The Hanrongda HRD-737 is also a DSP radio, but it only has a tiny whip so I'm not including that one]

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

I didn't find any splatter on the 69 on 102.2 but it's not as sensitive as the D19. I'm still shocked at how bad the sensitivity on the D4W was despite Jay Allen giving it 5 out of 5 on his FM shootout. He really got that one wrong. He gave the D19 4 out 5 but it's miles ahead pulling in weak signals the D4W can't even hear. Also you were right about the 40khz filter of D4W. It doesn't reject 100khz splatter, therefore it's selectivity is more or less on par with the D19. I think all these adjustable bandwidths are just marketing gimmicks. For me personally the D19 is the only portable I'd use for FM DX.
XHDATA D 808 (Shortwave)
Sangean DPR 69 (DAB)
Sangean PR D19 (FM)

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Alex Lawler wrote:
22 Dec 2019 19:54
I didn't find any splatter on the 69 on 102.2 but it's not as sensitive as the D19. I'm still shocked at how bad the sensitivity on the D4W was despite Jay Allen giving it 5 out of 5 on his FM shootout. He really got that one wrong. He gave the D19 4 out 5 but it's miles ahead pulling in weak signals the D4W can't even hear. Also you were right about the 40khz filter of D4W. It doesn't reject 100khz splatter, therefore it's selectivity is more or less on par with the D19. I think all these adjustable bandwidths are just marketing gimmicks. For me personally the D19 is the only portable I'd use for FM DX.
I did try to warn you to take his reviews with a pinch of salt. He gave the Tecsun PL-660 5 stars for both AM and FM, but everyone who owns one says it stinks on those two bands but is excellent on SW.

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

I know you're right. I've also noticed that many U.S dxers (judging by what I have read) consider a good FM radio on its ability to receive SpE dx. My argument is that SpE dx is often strong enough to be received on any radio. I don't think many Americans dx weak signal tropo in crowded bands, therefore claims of, "superb FM performance" are to be taken very lightly. I have learnt my lesson! Still the D4W is more than adequate for MW DX, 1010 New York was easily audible at 21.45 last night indoors just using it's internal ferrite.
XHDATA D 808 (Shortwave)
Sangean DPR 69 (DAB)
Sangean PR D19 (FM)

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Alex Lawler wrote:
22 Dec 2019 20:19
I know you're right. I've also noticed that many U.S dxers (judging by what I have read) consider a good FM radio on its ability to receive SpE dx. My argument is that SpE dx is often strong enough to be received on any radio. I don't think many Americans dx weak signal tropo in crowded bands, therefore claims of, "superb FM performance" are to be taken very lightly. I have learnt my lesson! Still the D4W is more than adequate for MW DX, 1010 New York was easily audible at 21.45 last night indoors just using it's internal ferrite.
Most Americans judge FM (and MW) by how many stations a radio "pulls in". Their FM stations are spaced at 200kHz so selectivity not so critical as on this side of the pond.
Isn't the D19 as good as the D4W on MW? I almost bought one in Las Palmas but it was a bit pricey and lacks RDS on FM.
The Roberts Play Duo looks identical to the D19 but has FM with RDS and DAB - no MW though.

Alex Lawler

Post by Alex Lawler »

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know about the 200khz spacing on FM. I think the Roberts Play is a Sangean 69 under the bonnet. I'm pretty sure it's the same radio but just rebaged. The 69 is amazing for portable DAB DX.

The D19 is vastly superior on FM and more or less the same as the D4W on MW. I think the D4Ws sensitivity complimented by the AM auto tracking is slightly superior to the D19 plus it has better audio. After saying that though I would not have purchased a D4W on that basis alone had I known about its sub par FM reception. The hassle of returning it to the States (plus I purchased four rechargeable D cell's with a new D cell battery charger) meant it made more sense to keep it but only for MW DX.
XHDATA D 808 (Shortwave)
Sangean DPR 69 (DAB)
Sangean PR D19 (FM)

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr »

Alex Lawler wrote:
22 Dec 2019 21:02
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know about the 200khz spacing on FM. I think the Roberts Play is a Sangean 69 under the bonnet. I'm pretty sure it's the same radio but just rebaged. The 69 is amazing for portable DAB DX.

The D19 is vastly superior on FM and more or less the same as the D4W on MW. I think the D4Ws sensitivity complimented by the AM auto tracking is slightly superior to the D19 plus it has better audio. After saying that though I would not have purchased a D4W on that basis alone had I known about its sub par FM reception. The hassle of returning it to the States (plus I purchased four rechargeable D cell's with a new D cell battery charger) meant it made more sense to keep it but only for MW DX.
The original now discontinued Roberts Play is a Sangean DPR-67. (There are several Roberts Play models these days).

Return to “DX Alerts (FM)”