ANNOUNCEMENT: Replacement Skywaves Live Chat now available for for Band 2 and Medium Wave

Interesting conditions? Post DX alerts here. Please use this forum for FM, TV & OIRT DX alerts ONLY!
John Faulkner, Skegness

ANNOUNCEMENT: Replacement Skywaves Live Chat now available for for Band 2 and Medium Wave

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness »

The Hangouts chat is reportedly due to close in October this year, although there are conflicting reports about the timing and exactly how it will be closed or split into two entities. Because of the uncertainties, a new chat has been created with Discord at the suggestion of one of our chat users.

https://discordapp.com/

The name of our chat room is skywaves-dx Click this link https://discord.gg/CESkpgc to join.

It looks like this app primarily for gamers, but it has a lot of very useful features for our purposes. There are also a few improvements over Hangouts, so why not download the app and join us?

A suggestion:
When you join, you might wish to switch off tray notifications and bleeps in the settings, and maybe change a few other settings. These were a quite annoying but I found it easy to disable them and make a few other personalisations in the settings. Also, I did not like the fact that the app minimises to the Windows system tray after being closed, then continues to send notifications. Believe me, it was all very simple to change. So if you join us and would like some help with these settings, just PM me, but it really is very simple. I am happy to help.

Jim (Bournemouth)

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Replacement Skywaves Live Chat now available for for Band 2 and Medium Wave

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) »

If you don't want to use the Windows app, you can still use the web version.

Also works fine on Iphone/Ipad as well.. the app is free.

It is a little gimmicky in some ways, but overall I think it is rather better than Hangouts.. the ability to embed audio and video into posts is handy.
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay, Funcube Dongle SDR Rx; 8-ele OP-DES for Band 2, 8-ele LFA 2m, 3 ele LFA for 6m, 20/15/10m dipole, VHF vertical

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Replacement Skywaves Live Chat now available for for Band 2 and Medium Wave

Plus the ability to correct typing errors, which we didn't have in Hangouts.

Jim (Bournemouth)

yes, forgot about that !

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay, Funcube Dongle SDR Rx; 8-ele OP-DES for Band 2, 8-ele LFA 2m, 3 ele LFA for 6m, 20/15/10m dipole, VHF vertical

Ian Kelly

Post by Ian Kelly »

So, I've downloaded the Android app and registered. But I've no idea how to find you lot, now I'm on the app! What am I missing?
Ian Kelly
Tilehurst, Reading, UK
1°03'22"W / 51°27'08"N

John Faulkner, Skegness

You are very observant Ian. I didn't give the name of the the group! (looks for Simpson's "D'oh"s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnaeIAEp2pU That should be enough.

and the name of the group is ... skywaves-dx

I will amend my original post too. Thanks Ian. :D

moordown66

Post by moordown66 »

I'm confused. Downloade the app. Registered ok. Tried to search skywaves-dx but it returned no results. Any idea what I've done wrong?

Ian Kelly

Post by Ian Kelly »

Ian Kelly wrote:
04 Jun 2019 20:56
So, I've downloaded the Android app and registered. But I've no idea how to find you lot, now I'm on the app! What am I missing?
John Faulkner, Skegness wrote:
04 Jun 2019 21:07
You are very observant Ian. I didn't give the name of the the group! (looks for Simpson's "D'oh"s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnaeIAEp2pU That should be enough.

and the name of the group is ... skywaves-dx

I will amend my original post too. Thanks Ian. :D
I'm in now, after discovering an invite from you, John, thanks for that.

I can report that there is also a Discord app for Android and I've got that up and running, in addition to the PC. Just search for Discord in the Google Play store.
Ian Kelly
Tilehurst, Reading, UK
1°03'22"W / 51°27'08"N

Lucas | TransistorFR

Post by Lucas | TransistorFR »

moordown66 wrote:
04 Jun 2019 21:42
I'm confused. Downloade the app. Registered ok. Tried to search skywaves-dx but it returned no results. Any idea what I've done wrong?
Try to join the group directly by clicking on this link, it should work normally :)
https://discord.gg/CESkpgc
• Lucas from Brindas, France | QTH Locator: JN25IR •
Airspy Mini | PURE Elan E3 | Sony XDR-P1DBP | Sony XDR-S40DBP | Tecsun PL-600 | Pira P275 Analyzer
Körner 9.2 - H. Pol. | Ground Plane

YouTube Channel
My FMLIST Visual Logbook for today

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

How do I change my discord avatar?
I never choose it in the first place Both Dad and Harry are dead and I want to move on
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

Jim (Bournemouth)

Tim,
Click on settings... it's the cog-wheel symbol in the little panel with your username bottom right.

"My Account" should appear by default. Click "Edit" and you can remove your avatar and upload a new one if you want to.

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall »

Thanks, its not letting me upload a new one, I guess the web is too slow, I’ll delete the old one
Rx: Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1, Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+ w/ HS Publications 6 Element R3 -R5 Yagi on rooftop rotator V/H polarization options. Pira P275 RDS analyser

Ian Kelly

Post by Ian Kelly »

Discord has currently gone down for all users due to server issues, so no Skywaves chat room at the time of writing. Details here:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/17/2132 ... age-issues

Ian Kelly
Ian Kelly
Tilehurst, Reading, UK
1°03'22"W / 51°27'08"N

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan »

Back up and running now.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 1 Sony ST-SE920, 1 Sony ST-SE700 1 Denon TU-1500RD 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland,2 element OIRT,2 element band 1.

Return to “DX Alerts (FM)”