FMLIST Logmap --> where to point for DX?

Interesting conditions? Post DX alerts here. Please use this forum for DX alerts ONLY!
Günter Lorenz
Site Admin

FMLIST Logmap --> where to point for DX?

Post by Günter Lorenz » 26 Jul 2018 18:07

I have an "experimental" feature on the FMLIST Logmap and I'd like to get your feedback.

We all have the page running and updating itself, but it is not always possible to be active at the radio when SpE pops up. So I asked myself: Can the map indicate a) if I am in the right place to get some SpE now, and b) which direction should I point / stations from which area should I expect?

https://www.fmlist.org/fm_logmapt.php?h ... thatsme=60
[note the different script name]

Replace 60 with your myFM OMID. When you are in the right place for SpE, some broad grey lines will show up, and indicate the direction to point. The far end of the line(s) are in the area of your potential target stations, or "in the Sea", which is a waste of SpE clouds;-)

Also this experimental page updates automatically.

Have fun and good DX!

Günter

Tim Bucknall

Re: FMLIST Logmap --> where to point for DX?

Post by Tim Bucknall » 27 Jul 2018 08:05

Now I'm hardcore!
Thanks Gunter
IMG_20180727_080100.jpg
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

daveB

Post by daveB » 27 Jul 2018 17:24

Well it started flagging up paths to Greece/Balkans this afternoon - but for the first half hour or so - nothing. Then I reconnected my SDR's (off in case of a storm last night) just in time for the opening to develop. I'm going to check the recordings in more details

But the map got very crowded and messy - I found it much clearer to turn off shadow-markers and opacity. I think that an option to turn off the do-nuts on this particular screen will help.

Actually - an explanation of how the donuts are derived would be helpful as I have a feeling that a 'nice round donut' doesn't fit the distorted projection of a Mercator map. Sorry I can't explain it better than that. But this new 'point your aerial this way screen appears to take the map projection into account. Hopefully we'll have a few more openings this season to test it out more.
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 27 Jul 2018 17:34

I wouldn't have caught weak Cyprus on 70mhz without the map alerting me.

The tropo colour was the same as the colour indicating a muf above 80mhz , so the doughnut shape was useful for telling them apart
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Jim (Bournemouth)

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) » 06 Aug 2018 20:48

Really like the new grey lines, Gunter.. thanks!

Proved to be quite handy knowing where to look, and try streams to get an ID when openings are marginal. A really useful addition!

The new Streams page layout is good too, will do my best to notify if streams appear to be inactive (or otherwise...)
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+ and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers 8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical

dxradiofan

Post by dxradiofan » 07 Aug 2018 11:27

The fmlist app for android is fantastic btw but the maps just don't work with me, can this be fixed or do I need to change a setting on the phone ?

Franco Martelli

Post by Franco Martelli » 08 Aug 2018 15:39

Is there really a FMLIST app for Android? :o
Where I can find it?
Rx: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 08 Aug 2018 16:52

The new map thing didn't work for me either. I will try again sometime as I know it's all at the experimental stage. Thanks for your hard work Günter.

Günter Lorenz
Site Admin

Post by Günter Lorenz » 09 Aug 2018 11:52

Thanks ALL for comments and feedback!

@Franco Martelli: http://zeiterfassung.3sdesign.de/stationlist-m.htm - the Android App based on FMLIST and great ideas by JB !

Franco Martelli

Post by Franco Martelli » 09 Aug 2018 13:31

Thanks for the link: I am gonna install the app and test it, asap.

The new layout of web streams is very good and the new grey lines could be useful in some specific conditions (I have to test ot during a opening): thanks for your care of Fmlist.

I also have some minor suggestions to improve Fmlist: you'll receive a PM or something similar after the Es season will be over.
Rx: Degen DE-1103, Sangean ATS-909

Tim Bucknall

Post by Tim Bucknall » 17 Aug 2018 18:02

i definitely got exotics that i would not have had without this map, if our continental friends have e skip to the south east but the band seems dead here i now beam at them and get bursts from Turkey etc

setup here is now 3 radios running
Elad in dual vfo mode with one channel recording 87.5 -88, other channel usually monitoring 77.25
rdr 54D1 on band II
Airspy HF+ for stuff below 72mhz or UHF satcom

the map was the last piece of the set up i needed
Thanks Gunter
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Return to “DX Alerts”