Tiangong Scatter?

Interesting conditions? Post DX alerts here. Please use this forum for DX alerts ONLY!
John Faulkner, Skegness

Tiangong Scatter?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 01 Apr 2018 00:53

As discussed on our Yahoo group - and thank you to Ilkka Suni in Finland.

The Tiangong 1 satellite re-entry is almost upon us, expected late evening today. Will it be suitably situated such as to submerge us in spectacular satellite scatter?

Check the progess in realtime here:

https://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=37820

At the time of writing this, https://www.space.com/40154-chinese-spa ... ction.html says the following:

Update for 5:35 pm. EDT: New re-entry forecasts by the European Space Agency and Aerospace Corp. have shifted the time of Tiangong-1's expected crash to between Sunday evening and early Monday (April 2). ESA officials are targeting 7:25 p.m. EDT (2325 GMT) Sunday as the likely time. An update this afternoon from the Aerospace Corp. forecasts a 7:53 p.m. EDT (2353 GMT) crash, give or take 7 hours.
At the time the story below was written, Tiangong-1 was expected to fall into the Pacific Ocean. Earlier today, a 7:30 p.m. EDT target on Sunday would have put the space station's point of descent is now around Africa – so it still remains highly uncertain. "I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that particular number, but it will probably move around and change," Andrew Abraham, a senior member of the technical staff at Aerospace Corp, told Space.com today. "If we're only off by a minute, it would move the location by hundreds of miles."

Abraham added that updates to Tiangong-1's trajectory show a trend of it delaying its re-entry time even further, so it's possible the station may fall later on April 2 – depending on the activity of the sun, and the tumbling of the space station.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Tiangong Scatter?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 01 Apr 2018 21:46

I think the web page is over-subscribed. It's taking ages to load or not loading at all. Direct link: https://www.n2yo.com/?s=37820&live=1

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 02 Apr 2018 00:08

It's now impossible to access the website which shows the current position of the Tiangong 1 satellite.

After reading the latest updates, there is so much uncertainty and disagreement that I am certain this satellite is going to land .... ANYWHERE! The time is rather uncertain too. Basically anytime between now and before sunrise.

I am recording FM anyway since yesterday evening's prediction was "Southern Europe / Northern Africa". As forecasts (and my luck) go, that will mean either in the middle of the Pacific or on my head. :lol:

Update at 20:45 GMT on April 1 from https://www.n2yo.com/info/?a=61: "According to ESA, reentry will take place anywhere between 43°N and 43°S. Areas above or below these latitudes can be excluded." Hmm. No clues there!

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 02 Apr 2018 10:16

Tiangong-1 has landed in the Pacific ocean, north-west of Tahiti, it has emerged.

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 02 Apr 2018 18:19

I was looking at that site last night but kept getting cut off times varied but took 15-20 mins to get back on.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

Return to “DX Alerts”