Lightning protection for 2x25m dipole?

Medium & long wave antenna discussion
AMDXHUN

Lightning protection for 2x25m dipole?

Post by AMDXHUN » 07 Oct 2019 13:39

I planning a Longwire dipole for my remote SDR instead of any active antenna. The 2x25m wire was performed good during tests, but I need lightning protection for it. With the MiniWhip it is not problem, the antenna and my SDR has survived a 200m close lightning strike.

What type of lightning protection suitable for 50m wire? I have grounding at the pole, halfway to the receiver and at the RX.

AMDXHUN

Re: Lightning protection for 2x25m dipole?

Post by AMDXHUN » 07 Oct 2019 13:53

my antenna plan

pnoelw

Re: Lightning protection for 2x25m dipole?

Post by pnoelw » 08 Oct 2019 15:08

Having lived in Africa for many years and suffered a couple of close strikes - there is only 1 sure way to protect your gear. Unlpug and isolate the co-ax - preferably outside the shack/house if you can. For a dipole, a solid earth connection (separate from your main shack earth) to both the inner and outer will help to bleed static build up. (not sure how the balun might respond to a big transient?) Make sure the plug end of the incoming co-ax is at least 50cms from any metal or wiring attached to your radio system, including computers. When storms are close, unplug all equipment from the mains and all antenna leads as above.

The longer the antenna, the higher the induced voltage.

Sounds like overkill but equipment is expensive. Your radio is probably connected to your computer. As soon as a sizeable transient gets in anywhere on the system it's goodnight.
Noel
Clacton-on-Sea
Perseus, Icom R8500, SDRPlay RSP2, FCDPro+, Uniden BCT15x, AOR8000, Tecsun PL880

Return to “Antennas”