telegraph pole induction experiment

Medium & long wave antenna discussion
Tim Bucknall
Location: Congleton, often in the Peak District, sometimes in Poland or Kresy

telegraph pole induction experiment

Post by Tim Bucknall » 16 Oct 2014 16:51

well during a brief power cut (1338-1411utc) which removed all qrm from the band, i conducted some experiments with a small tunable loop , the induction gain from a telegraph pole then finally both together
(this can only be done during a power cut as the telegraph pole normally radiates noise)

I managed to get the UK Local on 1566 which is not audible "barefoot" up to 40dB using both the tuned loop and the telegraph pole

so my question is how accurate is the DB meter on the tecsun? i can i consider these results valid?

sadly the power cut was too early in the afternoon for me to get any real dx

believe it or not local noise is so bad that today is the first time i've heard Flame CCR 1521 at home
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

mediterraneandxer

Re: telegraph pole induction experiment

Post by mediterraneandxer » 19 Oct 2014 12:56

The db meter on the Tecsuns are db over 1 microvolt. The DSP radios have a db S/N ratio meter as well.

I have heard on some radios the signal strength meter doesn't go over a certain value but on my 310 I have gotten up to around 97 IIRC. I don't know how accurate or stable the numbers are. If you could get a couple of Tecsuns side by side at the same location or compare it with another reference you could know for sure. But many radios seem to have a normal S meter rather than a db/uV meter. I need to find a formula to convert back and forth. I've seen some charts but haven't looked for the equation.
ICOM R75, R8500 | Lowe HF~225
Wellbrook ALA1530 | LF Engineering VLF, MW, Skymatch

Tim Bucknall
Location: Congleton, often in the Peak District, sometimes in Poland or Kresy

Re: telegraph pole induction experiment

Post by Tim Bucknall » 19 Oct 2014 12:57

Thank you
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

Return to “Antennas”