K9AY Antenna Query

Medium & long wave antenna discussion
Damien Read

K9AY Antenna Query

Post by Damien Read » 11 Jul 2015 12:44

I was considering getting a Wellbrook K9AY antenna system, but sadly Andy lnkin no longer manufacturers them.
I have however since spotted on eBay a seller offering a similar system.
Anyway, my main question is in regards to antenna size, l cannot fit a full sized K9AY into my garden, but I have noticed that there is a mini K9AY design out on the net.
Is this system fussy, for smaller versions of the antenna?
I guess I am hoping someone has some experience of the K9AY antennas, and can advise for MW use.

Damien
Rock, Worcestershire

satnipper

Re: K9AY Antenna Query

Post by satnipper » 11 Jul 2015 13:08

Damien Read

Post by Damien Read » 11 Jul 2015 21:40

Thanks Stuart
Looks like it's aimed at Radio Hams rather than MW BC.
If you use the pre amplifier, it uses a bandpass filter on lower frequencies

Damien
Rock, Worcestershire

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 11 Jul 2015 23:13

Balun Designs used to carry the Hilltop Systems K9AY kit but no longer do. I bought it when available but not yet installed - on my to-do list when retired in France. I can't find another distribution channel for Hilltop.

Shame Wellbrook no longer do their unit - it was very expensive but had a good reputation. Guess they didn't sell too many.

Damien Read

Post by Damien Read » 12 Jul 2015 19:54

Thanks for looking, here is the link for the ebay one, almost seems to be to good for the price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291508911191? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I was hoping to run such a system from this design, as it sounds perfect for the average UK garden

http://www.ok1rr.com/index.php/antennas ... -mini-k9ay

Of course, I don't know of anybody who has actually tried this design, so for the time being I am setting flag up.

Damien Read

Rock, Worcestershire

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 12 Jul 2015 23:11

That is extremely cheap for a K9AY controller and interface. Here is the chap's QRZ page - http://www.qrz.com/db/SQ8ERS
Seems a serious HF dxer - his kit is good and he has an additional contest call. On the flip side only has 3 feedbacks. Still, might be worth TOFTT.

That mini-K9AY is rather small!

Stuart

Damien Read

Post by Damien Read » 12 Jul 2015 23:57

I have been in contact with the eBayer, and it seems legit. Just need to find out if it has any filtering built into the unit.
My gut feeling, that l will be to get away with a small K9AY.
My reasoning for this is down to my experience of using my wellbrook ala100ln loop. When l followed the suggested loop size, 3m x3m it just overloaded both the unit and SDR. After a few designs l ended up with 1m x 1m, Droitwich tx is my main problem here. Funny that the 3m loop had no issues though the other HF bands, which leads me to wonder, do you really need a fully fledged K9AY antenna system for MW.
I will probably take a punt on this, it may just be the next dx bargain out there.

BTW Stuart, do you still want to play with the TGN PREAMPLIFIER??

Damien
Rock, Worcestershire

Return to “Antennas”