SDRPlay price reduction

Medium & long wave receiver discussion
daveB

SDRPlay price reduction

Post by daveB » 21 Mar 2015 23:48

I've just seen that the SDRPlay has come down in price significantly - as of 19th March.

It is now £99 + VAT + shipping. So in the UK/EU it's just around £119 + postage. It was £175 all inclusive - obviously just a bit gutted as I've only had mine around 9 weeks.

Based on my experience it's got to be the best value for money SDR there is and works very well on the HDSDR platform. Of course I don't have the means to compare it to the performance of an Elad FDM S2. Let's just say that I wasn't prepared to shell out £450 for the latter and SDRPlay offers a 14 day money back guarantee -(see their T&C's) so i could try it and compare it to my existing analogue radios.

Rgds

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

dxradiofan

Re: SDRPlay price reduction

Post by dxradiofan » 25 Sep 2015 18:39

I bought a second hand funcube plus...better than the SDR play ?

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 25 Sep 2015 19:15

Jim (Bournemouth)

Post by Jim (Bournemouth) » 26 Sep 2015 08:19

dxradiofan wrote:I bought a second hand funcube plus...better than the SDR play ?
Depends on your location, and whether you have very strong local Band 2 signals.
The Funcube has a better dynamic range (it is 16 bit) and is a lot less susceptible to overload - but only has a 192khz bandwidth.
It also has strong filtering for the 144 and 432Mhz amateur bands.

The SDR Play does have a multi-Mhz bandwidth but being only 12-bit, overloads pretty easily here, though gain settings can be tweaked to reduce overload.
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+ and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers 8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical

daveB

Post by daveB » 26 Sep 2015 16:32

I bought a second hand funcube plus...better than the SDR play ?
It all depends on what you want from an SDR. Can you confirm that is a FuncubeDongleProPlus as I am actually very interested in purchasing one to complement the SRPlay.

My main interest is FM DXing so the wide bandwidth with the ability to record a big chunk of the spectrum for later playback is very important as is being able to scan the band and log the RDS data via RDSpy - but I can't do both at once. So I am thinking of using the SDRPlay to record spectrum chunks whilst the FunCube would be scanning the band - as you only need a single channel bandwidth to do this. OR scan using the Funcube whilst manually exploring the band with the SDRPlay. If anyone has had success with the Funcube and FMSuite together- let me know please.

The SDRPlay and the FuncubeDongle Pro+ both use the same front end chip so the front end performance will be similar

Technically the FuncubePro+ shows better HF filtering. SDRPlay has a 0-12MHz LPF filter, and a 12-30 MHz BPF whereas the Funcube has 0.1-4MHz, 4-8 MHx, 8-16 MHz, 16-32 MHz BPF. I've read somewhere that these are 5th order Chebeyev filters so they are quite steep.

Of course with a bandwidth of 8MHz available on the SDRPlay having filters with a band width of only 4MHz won't work so well. But there might be an argument for SDRPlay to have had something like a 6-20 MHz filter and switch filters at 9 and 16 MHz to avoid the problem of loss of sensitivity and the filter edges. But looking at the schematics and the way they have implemented the 250-420 MHz band that would really complicate matters needing additional bandswitch filters.

For HF you could argue that you don't really need a huge wide chunk of bandwidth as the signals are only a few KHz and it is very difficult to see them unless you zoom well in or use a narrower bandwidth. Coupled with the SAW filters from 2m/70cm an 'amateur only' user might not choose the SDRPlay (or the AirSpy for that matter). As Stuart posted - it is a matter of choice. But I suspect that sooner or later more than a handful of people will have multiple SDR receivers - even if it is only an RTL dongle for the OIRT band
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

Return to “Receivers”