Elad and HDSDR

Medium & long wave receiver discussion
MarkdxAnglesey

Elad and HDSDR

Post by MarkdxAnglesey » 11 May 2016 12:26

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know if the elad can work using hdsdr software...if so is it easy enough to set up...fed up with elad failing

Anyhelp appreciated as don't have a stable radio at the moment

Mark
Mark Davies
Isle of Anglesey
Elad FDM S2
FM5
Flag

simbeav

Re: Elad and HDSDR

Post by simbeav » 11 May 2016 12:52

Mark,

I've never got on with hdsdr so haven't used it with the elad for a while, but I'm sure it is just a case of downloading the extio files from the elad site and putting them in the hdsdr folder.

It's a shame recording is so hit and miss with the elad software and since they launched their hammy transmitter jobby they seem to have given up on any software development (or even bug fixes) for the receiving side.

Simon

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 11 May 2016 13:40

They never added the playback buffer either, yet people said that would have been very useful. There's loads of playback buffer time in the Jaguar software for medium wave. The Elad team have been helpful on other things though. Hopefully there will be another software update with bug fixes soon.

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 11 May 2016 17:28

The Elad works fb with HDSDR software. However I can't playback files recorded in HDSDR with the Elad software application. Yes - d/l extio files - ignore the x64 ones.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 11 May 2016 18:37

Thanks for this Stuart.

I placed the ExtIO files in the HDSDR folder and everything works fine, but there is no way to play back the HDSDR-recorded files in the FDM-S2, just as you say. I was certain I had read somewhere that this could be done, but I have obviously misunderstood.

A shame how such an excellent receiver has such a poor and un-user-friendly record scheduler.

daveB

Post by daveB » 11 May 2016 20:13

Do you need to play the files back on the Elad software? You can play back HDSDR files on the later versions of SDR# using Vasily's (rtl-sdr.ru) File Player and not only have a waterfall of the whole time spectrum but you can take advantage of the asymetric filter. With of course the MPXOutput plugin to feed the signal to RDSSpy.com. It is amazing how sliding the edge of the filter away from an interfering adjacent signal can result in the RDS pi code appearing.

It's really a case of cherry picking from the best available bits of various SDR software offerings top achieve an end result.

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 11 May 2016 21:58

That's exactly how it has become Dave - and thanks for this tip. I will put it into action tomorrow. I'd still like to have the ability to record the whole band, albeit in stages, if I have to go out. This does sound like the best solution.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 12 May 2016 13:56

I didn't know this was all being posted in the medium wave section, but just to say that it's probably best that I abandon this HDSDR > SDR# experiment. There are quite a few things which are not working. I thought I had got HDSDR recording perfectly yesterday, but there aren't any signals when playing back the file in SDR# so something is not right.

I can only record 100 kHz in HDSDR and I don't know how to record the full 6 MHz bandwidth, or even if it can do this.

Now the HDSDR > VAC > RDS Spy chain is broken and I can't get it to work.

I think it's best that I just brush this one under the carpet. These things are too complicated and frustrating to me.

Return to “Receivers”