Jaguar anyone?

Post by Tim Bucknall » 30 Aug 2015 10:45

Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

John Faulkner, Skegness

Re: Jaguar anyone?

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 30 Aug 2015 11:38

I've always wanted an innovative solution with a wrapper for my core bits. (Can somebody explain in simple English? :lol: )

Sorry but, unless it's just me being thick, the page says a lot but tells me very little.

Who on earth is TEAM LURX?

Is this a scam?

Baffled.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 30 Aug 2015 11:40

Amazing ..... it's even better than Mick Jagger!

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 01 Sep 2015 17:10

Only for Scandinavian elite dxers! No one else is good enough to play with it!

Tim Bucknall
Location: Congleton, often in the Peak District, sometimes in Poland or Kresy

Post by Tim Bucknall » 01 Sep 2015 17:56

indeed, it does read like a con!
Home:Burkhardt Reuter RDR54D1 SDR V.415,
+ CLP 5130 Log P ant

Mobile: Comm Radio CR-1 + Sharman Skyscan ant, Pira P275

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 Feb 2016 12:00

Jaguar (and his mate Turtle) are now available to download via MW List, therefore this must be a genuine product.

My curiosity is aroused. Promises of clean audio and a plethora of other useful tools. So I downloaded the "latest package" and got a message that the version was "too old" and so could not run it.

The scrolling 'ticker' at the top right of the page informs me that Jaguar is "not mature enough"!

That's a pity. I like the sound of it, apart from the rather strange product description.

Does anybody know more about this?

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 29 Feb 2016 13:54

I can't see anythng on MW List, John.

Jaguar Lite has been freely available for a few months now.

http://jaguar-lite.blogspot.co.uk/

The Spector bit to show carriers is interesting, but I didn't find the whole package gave any advantages over the Perseus software and the way it superimposes the application over your desktop rather than running in a Window just doesn't feel right.

I presume the full version that the professionals get is much better, otherwise I can't really see the point.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 Feb 2016 14:38

Thanks for the link.

It's working - and it can even play the same file at the same time as Perseus!

The audio is processed. Sounds like some kind of noise filtering but the Perseus audio actually sounds better, which is saying something! I think HDSDR is the application for medium wave DX audio - always crisp and clean.

I couldn't see any was of running Spector, so I presume this is only possible with the 'full' version.

I like it though and I can see potential. It's very different to tuning with the Perseus. The write-up suggests it's the bee's knees, or the dog's whiskers, whichever you prefer, but I can't rate the audio as anything special. It does have a 'nice' sound though. Shame I can't alter the bandwidths and have a further play.

I think this shows there is further potential for greatly improving the interfaces we use for our medium wave DXing. One of the things which would hugely improve medium wave DXing for me is the incorporation of a splatter filter, such as Jurgen's "Splattaway" and a good level of 'clever' audio filtering and noise reduction. There are ways to clean up audio if it's done correctly. All filtering I have used for medium wave DXing over the years inevitably results in degraded, scratchy or 'woolly' audio and without any real improvement to intelligibility.

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 29 Feb 2016 14:55

Spector is toggled on and off by pressing 'S'. You can then see the exact frequency of any carrier within the 'bubble'. so long as you have calibrated.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 29 Feb 2016 18:05

So that's what that bubble is for :) That's impressive!

It confirms my Perseus is .005.5 high in frequency - as I had worked out myself, although I wouldn't have dared to go less than 1Hz accuracy.

I'd love to get hold of the full version of this.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 15 Apr 2016 13:42

I purchased the full version of Jaguar.

Absolutely amazing! So clever it hurts!

There is so much in this programme that I wonder if any single user would ever make use of all its facilities.

I ought to post a video review but time is not on my side right now. If anybody wants to hook up via TeamViewer I can demonstrate. Suffice to say this is well worth investing in. It interacts with Perseus, so (and I think I am correct in saying this, but don't quote me) you'll need a Perseus. It's just the ultimate package for MW DXing.

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 15 Apr 2016 14:20

Is it on general sale then John or do you have to have an invite or similar.
I've found the audio from the lite version helps getting IDs from some stations subjected to splatter and the like.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 15 Apr 2016 15:12

You'll need to contact the Jaguar team at their blog: http://jaguar-lite.blogspot.co.uk/ There is a waiting list and releases come out every so often.

I may have been lucky to catch the end of the current 'intake' as I didn't think the next main update is available for a few weeks. They'll explain it all anyway. Since this is a work in development there is no general release available at the moment, so I am something of a Guinea pig.

I tried to make a video using YouTube live streaming (which won't record all the screen) and then with CamStudio (which just caused my computer to lock up when trying to record full screen), so I am stuck there. TeamViewer allows streaming if you are interested.

satnipper

Post by satnipper » 17 Apr 2016 13:31

Are you allowed to say how much the price is, John?

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 17 Apr 2016 16:20

I think so. It's 50 Euros. Came to just over £41 and I paid with PayPal (as a "gift" - so no nasty PP fees).

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 20 Apr 2016 07:57

I'm on board with Jaguar now John. Managed to sneak in.

As you say, absolutely awesome. Will take for ever to scratch the surface.

I've had a quick play of my 14th April recording and got a great ID of WMKM on 1440. It was clear as a bell and I hadn't spotted it at all on the normal Perseus software.

I think it's a game changer !

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 20 Apr 2016 11:12

Fantastic! :) :) :)

Superb catch with WMKM too!

It's a bit 50/50 on the missing stations on the Perseus but hearing them on Jaguar. Both softwares have their uses, but Jaguar sings its way though on audio.

I have been checking some old DXpeditions recordings. I have pulled out several IDs on Jaguar that I completely missed on Perseus. Jaguar's audio is amazing! The filtering is also extremely clever. I have been playing around with "FIR" on the "Frontend" section of the filter window. I'm guessing that's some kind of notch filtering, but I am still only scratching the surface myself. There's a lot to take in.

I presume you have taken advantage of the yoyos? Can you see live offsets in Spector, together with the names of the stations?

Those yoyos are not necessarily all present. A yoyo next to a strong European frequency won't show. 1180 is a classic example here. Cuba is sometimes stronger than 1179, but it still gets left out. Same for other close splits, so beware of that.

Have you found any noise reduction on Jaguar yet? I thought there would have been some, but maybe I'm missing it.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 20 Apr 2016 11:31

Did you get the two Latin music stations on 1600 overnight? The stronger of the two has to be WUNR. Just back to back music. Peak time is 0400+ here.

I am wondering if it's time to get the MW chat underway. It would be great to swap notes.

John Faulkner, Skegness

Post by John Faulkner, Skegness » 20 Apr 2016 11:44

... 1600 at 04:27:25 I have an OM coming through with a Caribbean(?) accent coming through over WUNR.

The offsets suggest KPNP but I doubt it would be that with these conditions.

Edit: 1600 at 0430 has a real pile-up. Possible ID from one station but it's buried under presumed WUNR.

MarkdxAnglesey

Post by MarkdxAnglesey » 20 Apr 2016 17:53

Hi John do you know if it works with the elad ? What about the timer

Mark
Mark Davies
Isle of Anglesey
Elad FDM S2
FM5
Flag

Return to “Receivers”