Elad FDM DuoR vs. Perseus

Medium & long wave receiver discussion
DXMon

Re: Elad FDM DuoR vs. Perseus

Post by DXMon »

Great review on the RSPdx in the link. Thank you. RSPdx certainly sounds like all rounder in terms of performance and also value for money.
And it is great to know that over night MW whole band recording is possible with RSP SDRs too. I used to think it is only possible with Perseus SDR.

I have been using SDRUNO with my RSP1A, and it seems working OK. There have been some lock-ups when the program is started. The PLAY button is pressed, and the signal is coming into the RSP1A, but no audio or garbled audio etc. But it seems settling down itself when the program restarted.

There are lots of windows and menus, with full of stuff I have no idea what they are about in SDRUno, so I just leave it as Default settings.
I quite like the way SDRUno works with RSP!A in interface, and having no physical buttons and switches on the hardware means that it will not have mechanical problems later on like with the old radios = the connections get dirty or wear out needing cleaning liquids and needing replacement of the control switches etc.

But about the YTber - there are a few videos comparing his RSPdx and ELad FDM Duo. As you say, even if it is a QRP Transceiver, due to its high grade design with extensive filtering etc, many DXers seem using it as receivers.

But he kept on saying that the Elad FDM Duo was not any better than RSDPdx in DX RXing on side by side comparisons using the same antenna.
And he was right. RSPDx was doing good job as good as the ELad at quarter of the price.

So I am glad that I didn't go for Elad FDM DuoR throwing out hundreds of pounds for a wee box half the size of my R75 :D, because what I really was after was really SDR with solid front end, so I could hear the weak DX signals on MW at nights. I think I will go for a RSPdx for my upgrade. From the review, it seems the right one I was looking for - a SDR with solid front end performance for MW HFLF DXing with good value for money.

If it still doesn't cut the mustard, then I will need to come back and search for a Perseus, Elad FDM-S2 or something like that. :)
But from the review in the SWL site, it seems promising that RSPdx can cut the mustard, and cut it very well.

I have not bought any paper magazines for years now, because everything seems on the internet these days. But it is nice to have paper copy of the books and magazines like the old days. It is also the situation now, that most news agents and shops are closed on the high streets, or moved away to elsewhere, and we don't even know where to go and buy them.
I suppose they still publish printed magazines and books for the subscribers and members.
Icom IC-R75, SDRPlay RSP1A, 20m longwire, Wellbrook ALA 1530 Loop, MLA30+ Loop

DXMon

Re: Elad FDM DuoR vs. Perseus

Post by DXMon »

satnipper wrote:
22 Feb 2021 18:34

(3) The FDM-S3 has only recently appeared for general sale towards the end of last year
Now of course there's the FDM-S3 and I look forward to the review.
Just came across FDM-S3 specs. and WOW, look like hot receiver indeed. But the price was almost 1k£.
I wonder how this S3 would compare with Perseus, S2, and DuoR.

I am thinking of getting another upgrade.
I got a RSPdx by the way. It is nice.
It is definitely million times better on MW and LW.
But SW is just same as RSP1A.

I am wondering what difference can the higher grade Receivers will make in terms of DXing, and whether it is
worth the extra money for their prices.
Icom IC-R75, SDRPlay RSP1A, 20m longwire, Wellbrook ALA 1530 Loop, MLA30+ Loop

Return to “Receivers”