SDR# TV plugin

TV receiver discussion
simbeav

SDR# TV plugin

Post by simbeav » 23 Jun 2015 10:41

Has anybody on here had any success with the SDR# TV plugin and an elad S2 ?

Whenever eastern Europe comes up, I can see the carriers, but have yet to succeed in getting a picture.
On a few occasions the carriers have appeared to be exceptionally strong, but although I keep convincing myself that I'm getting some skewed bars and a picture is about to resolve.... nothing.
It's subjective, but I'm sure that back in the day equivalent carrier strengths received on by Scanner gave very watchable pictures on the JVC etc.

There doesn't seem to be much to set up, so am I doing anything wrong, just not getting strong enough signals or doesn't the plugin work with the S2 ?

thanks

Simon

daveB

Re: SDR# TV plugin

Post by daveB » 24 Jun 2015 12:04

but although I keep convincing myself that I'm getting some skewed bars and a picture is about to resolve
I am using the plug-in in SDR# - SDRSharp.TV.dll with an RTLdongle and if you do not set the sample rate to 1.5/2.0/2.5 MSPS then you get skewed bars. It is quite sensitive - I get recognisable pictures at a much lower strength than my LG227WD needs to lock a picture as the latter appears to have a video/audio squelch. As you no doubt have seen the special RTLSDR.dll adds those sample rates. The Elad doesn't have those sample rates so as I've found when using the standard sample rates with the dongle you get diagonal bars.

Next time Band I opens I will try it using the SDR Play - and see what happens. What I have found is that I don't get frame lock - it tends to wander about no matter how strong the signal.

Strangely enough I was trying to track down the TVSharp plug-in and ended up here http://rtl-sdr.ru/category/tvsharp which gives a stand-alone program. It only recognises my RTL dongle. Next OIRT opening I'll try that program too.
Simplest suggestion is to buy a dongle - cosycave do the R820T2 based one for £11.40. https://www.cosycave.co.uk/product.php?id_product=323

Apart from anything else - you can use the Elad for the FM DX and leave the RTL dongle parked with the video window showing. If you don't have a specific aerial for OIRT - try a dipole with 1m length elements - with a standard centre box you end up resonant at 70MHz.

Rgds

David
SDRPlay, AirSpyMini, RTL dongles, SB920s, Yamaha TX930. 5 ele compact yagi on rotator at 18ft agl. FM5 facing east, FM5 facing south, FM3 facing NE, OIRT dipole, 3-ele Moxon vertical facing east.

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 24 Jun 2015 13:26

Hello Simon and Dave.

I delayed replying to this thread as I don't have the Elad.

Just to add to what Dave wrote, I have local analogue system B/G signals so can test with locals. As Dave said the RTL-SDR has new sample rates added by Vasili's plugin with a suffix "TV". You need to choose one of those. It doesn't seem to matter which demodulation mode is chosen, but "DSB" is what I usually choose.

If your SDR has sufficient bandwidth, and is supported in SDR#, viz, SDRplay, Airspy and Hack RF. It is possible with Vasili's VFO plugin to have one VFO on the vision frequency eg 49.75 MHz and a second VFO on 56.25MHz. (System D/K), and get audio and video. (Two RTl-SDR dongles can also be used)
I'll try an experiment with two RTL-SDR dongles soon, and post a video.

The Elad would in theory at maximum bandwidth be able to tune System B/G video and audio, but only available sigs are via double hop Es in the UK/Western Europe.

BTW 70 MHz is the centre of the OIRT FM band, and we are talking about TVDX here :)

A dipole cut for 55 MHz (or 58 MHz) would cover Band I better.

Peter
Phnom Penh

simbeav

Post by simbeav » 24 Jun 2015 14:09

Thanks both - It looks as if the Elad may not be suitable.

I'll have another go with a dongle, but I gave up on those because I'm so close to Wenvoe that most bands suffer horrific overload.

The sad thing is that the carriers fromm Ukraine / Belarus and Russia can at times look really strong on the Elad.

I'll keep trying though. It would be good to get some last gasp TVDX if only for old times sake.

Simon

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 24 Jun 2015 14:25

http://youtu.be/YT42_zZVPwc

SDR# TV plugin & TV Sharp demo/comparison

Local TV Korat, Thailand (2nd June 2015)

RTL-SDR (2832U) indoor aerial

Peter Wilson
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

pe1etr

Post by pe1etr » 24 Jun 2015 14:29

Simon, just because there is overload with an RTL dongle on FM doesn't mean it wont work on band I. I have very strong FM stations producing overload in Phnom Penh but can still use the dongle for band I TV.

You could always add a low pass filter or FM bandstop filter (FM trap)

See above for a demo of the RTL dongle with Band III local TV.

Peter

Andrew Webster,Wigan

Post by Andrew Webster,Wigan » 24 Jun 2015 15:01

My RTL dongle is useless on band 2 but is excellent on band 1 and 6 M and I have had some OIRT in the clear parts and I have high signal strengths here.
I am using a two element band 1 dipole with a parasitic element based on the Antiference trumatch design mounted about 15 ft high.

I have split the feed using a passive splitter courtesy of Virgin Media lol and I have not noticed any loss so I can watch the SDR and TV at the same time.

Andy
Receiving equipment: 2 Sony ST-S311, 1 Sony ST-SE520, 1 Sony ST-SE700 2 crossed FM 5s rotatable, 1 homemade FM 3 horizontal beaming S/E, 1 vertical FM 3 fixed beaming at Ireland, 2 element band 1.

Return to “Receivers”