Sangean D19/D4W

FM receiver discussion
Alex Lawler

Sangean D19/D4W

Post by Alex Lawler » 15 Dec 2019 18:27

Has anybody considered or have these for MW and FM dxing?They have selectable bandwidths for both FM and MW. I have a D19 which is very sensitive and selective on FM but slightly less so on MW. I've also just ordered a D4W from the State's which has a selective bandwidth of 40KHZ on FM. It supposedly has top MW reception. They seem interesting choices to compete with the more familiar Grundigs and Tecsuns.
XHDATA D 808 (Shortwave)
Sangean DPR 69 (DAB)
Sangean PR D4W (Medium Wave)
Sangean PR D19 (FM)

pe1etr

Re: Sangean D19/D4W

Post by pe1etr » 16 Dec 2019 05:04

Hello Alex,

I thought at first you meant the following radio, as this was the only one I knew of with switchable FM bandwidths.
https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-ats-405-amfmsw-radio/
However, I had forgotten the model number. I was interested in it before but it is a bit pricey and the RDS only has the CT (clock) function.
FM sensitivity might be suspect.

The PR-D4W has more bandwidths (though I suspect the figures for DSP bandwidths are actual the equivalent to "half bandwidths", like the DSP AM bandwidths usually are, so the actual bandwidths might be double the values in the specs) and good selectivity but muffled audio.
https://radiojayallen.com/sangean-pr-d4 ... d-radio-2/

I've found some reviews on the site in the link to be suspect based on reviews on YouTube, so your mileage may vary.

Let us know how your new radio is for FMDX in comparison to other portables you have tested.

Peter

Alex Lawler

Re: Sangean D19/D4W

Post by Alex Lawler » 16 Dec 2019 13:11

Yes, I think you are right about the bandwidths being double . I doubt the 40khz filter will stop adjacent 100khz splatter either side from strong locals. I find Jay Allen's reviews to be quite useful. I bought the D19 against his advice based on You Tube videos rather than his star ratings and have to agree that AM sensitivity was only 2 star. He rates the D4W at 5 for FM and 4 and a half for MW. I guess I'll see when it eventually arrives.
XHDATA D 808 (Shortwave)
Sangean DPR 69 (DAB)
Sangean PR D4W (Medium Wave)
Sangean PR D19 (FM)

Return to “Receivers”